Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2012, 02:15 AM

Default Clock source is out of range + Crackle at 174.4kHz

Hey guys,

I've recently got HDX and thought I'd try my first session at high sample rates. Problem: as soon as I select 174.4 or 192k sample rates, I get an error message saying that the clock source is out of range, then some pretty terrible crackle follows and stays on. I tried using the HD I/O with internal clock as well as clocking it from the Cranesong HEDD, but no luck.
Any idea about what I'm doing wrong?

EDIT: Did a few more tests. It seems the problem isn't coming from the HD I/O but from the HEDD at the two highest sample rates.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Clock source is out of range + Crackle at 174.4kHz

Hi,

Just wondering if you sorted this out? I have the same issue with the Avid HD I/O and clocking from the HEDD. I can't get it to clock at any sample rate.

I'm going via spdif, any ideas?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:20 PM

I turns out I didn't have the latest firmware in the HEDD to allow it to run at 174 & 192k. Sent it to the factory about 3 weeks ago and waiting for it to come back now.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:52 AM

So was it obviously syncing at lower sample rates? I belieive my firmware is quite new.

I keep getting that message "Clock Source is out of range and the peripherals have been reverted to Internal clock. Manually reselect the desired Clock Source after verifying the sync source."

The HEDD clocks OK to my DIGI003 but won't sync at all with the HD 16x16 I/, not even 48k.

Are you using AES or spdif?

I'm selecting the Clock Source as Spdif (Encl), Ext Clock Otput as Word Clock (48kHz) and Digital Format as Spdif. But no joy.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 11-23-2012, 02:41 PM

Exclamation Re: Clock source is out of range + Crackle at 174.4kHz

Hedd 192 is my Master Clock here and no problem at all syncing HD2 Accel 192IO Digital interface.

Sometimes when rebooting machine with different word clock at hedd it may pop up this warning but you just need to go in there and manually fix it.
Generally PT itself re-arranges everything.

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:14 PM

I'm using AES here, but was using SPDIF in the past without trouble.
Not that I am clocking through BNC cables, not the AES cable itself, so that might make a difference (not that it should)