Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-20-2011, 06:42 AM

Default Pro Tools 10 - plugins missing at first

This is a word of warning about the need to install PT10 and other related software in the correct order. I just bought an Mbox Pro (3rd generation) bundled with PT9 with a free upgrade to PT10. I was to install it on a Mac Mini 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4Gb RAM (on which I had never installed any version of Pro Tools before) running Lion 10.7.2. I also own the Virtual Instruments set (bought years ago for my HD2 Accel system on a G5 ppc) and I made the mistake of buying the PTIEP and installing that on my Mac Mini in the week leading up to the Mbox/PT10 bundle being delivered.

As found by some other posters, this led to not being able to access any AAX or RTAS plugins or virtual instruments or Audiosuite plugins when I started up PT10. I then did a clean uninstall of PT10 and also deleted the PTIEP instruments and all Avid/Digidesign preferences and also any folders I could find in the Library that had Avid or Digidesign in the title - some items had been left despite the clean uninstall. I also deleted Pro Tools versions of a few third party plug ins which I will have to reinstall later.

Then I repaired permissions and started to reinstall - first the Mbox driver, then PT10. I started up PT10 and this time I could see the splash screen running through all the plug ins. I opened up the PT10 demo file so as not to confuse PT 10 with possible incompatibilities from old PT7 and PT8 files and it worked. I then quit and reinstalled the Avid Virtual Instruments 10 package. Relaunched PT10, opened the demo file again and it's all working fine.

I have run out of time today, so will install the PTIEP tomorrow.

I have to say that the 32 audio tracks and 20 instances of the new PT Channelstrip, plus a dozen or so other AIR plugins make my GUI slow and jerky and it felt like being back on Digital Performer in 2002, but the audio continued to playback just fine. This means I need to save up for a more powerful Mac next year.

AVID - you need to give clearer instructions on how to install PT10 as problems such as I have encountered in the last couple of days must be wasting a lot of people's time.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:09 AM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe
Default Re: Pro Tools 10 - plugins missing at first

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxedin View Post
This is a word of warning about the need to install PT10 and other related software in the correct order. I just bought an Mbox Pro (3rd generation) bundled with PT9 with a free upgrade to PT10. I was to install it on a Mac Mini 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4Gb RAM (on which I had never installed any version of Pro Tools before) running Lion 10.7.2. I also own the Virtual Instruments set (bought years ago for my HD2 Accel system on a G5 ppc) and I made the mistake of buying the PTIEP and installing that on my Mac Mini in the week leading up to the Mbox/PT10 bundle being delivered.

As found by some other posters, this led to not being able to access any AAX or RTAS plugins or virtual instruments or Audiosuite plugins when I started up PT10. I then did a clean uninstall of PT10 and also deleted the PTIEP instruments and all Avid/Digidesign preferences and also any folders I could find in the Library that had Avid or Digidesign in the title - some items had been left despite the clean uninstall. I also deleted Pro Tools versions of a few third party plug ins which I will have to reinstall later.

Then I repaired permissions and started to reinstall - first the Mbox driver, then PT10. I started up PT10 and this time I could see the splash screen running through all the plug ins. I opened up the PT10 demo file so as not to confuse PT 10 with possible incompatibilities from old PT7 and PT8 files and it worked. I then quit and reinstalled the Avid Virtual Instruments 10 package. Relaunched PT10, opened the demo file again and it's all working fine.

I have run out of time today, so will install the PTIEP tomorrow.

I have to say that the 32 audio tracks and 20 instances of the new PT Channelstrip, plus a dozen or so other AIR plugins make my GUI slow and jerky and it felt like being back on Digital Performer in 2002, but the audio continued to playback just fine. This means I need to save up for a more powerful Mac next year.

AVID - you need to give clearer instructions on how to install PT10 as problems such as I have encountered in the last couple of days must be wasting a lot of people's time.
That's nice of you to tell us, but I never installed PTIEP (I don't even know what it is) or a previous version of PT on my computer, I repaired the permission and still can't see the plugins.

I cannot reinstall every driver and plugins I bought to try the pro tools demo... Avid got to get their stuff straight.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:03 PM

Thumbs up Re: Pro Tools 10 - plugins missing at first

Thanks bro saved me a lot of time, tried to call Avid today and was on hold for 30 mins before i finally hung up, AVID GET YOUR BUISNESS TOGETHER!!!
Old 06-14-2013, 05:18 AM

I have another problem similar to that, and I don't find the way of fixing it without help (help that avid is not giving by the way)
I had PT7LE that i bought years ago.
I bought a new Mac Pro 10.7.5 which doesn't support the PT7LE version
So I bought an cross grade to PT10 on line
I discovered I need an iLok. I bought it and i got all the licenses.
I started to download the package i just bought, and in the download dialogue window it says 100%, Error
When I click to open the program it says, that they don't find applications to open it. I go to the folder Digidesing, try to open from there and nothing happens
Then, when I try to download it again from Avid, it says that it has been already downloaded..
ANd so on, please help!
thx
Old 06-07-2013, 11:16 AM

I'm having the same exact problem mentioned here. Out of ideas to try and Avid support is days and days in between responses.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:13 PM

This problem is not uncommon. Anybody know the cause? A fix?
Old 06-11-2013, 05:27 PM

backup your plugins and presets first!

the fix is a total uninstall of pro tools and any file/folder.

so you also have to delete any avid/digidesign folder under applications and in the library.

just using the app uninstaller won´t help in most cases!

to not loose plugins/presets, copy them first to a different location!

Old 06-12-2013, 01:56 PM

The "clean" uninstaller leaves the Avid folder in Applications and the Avid and Digidesign folders in /Library/Application Support. Make sure to remove/delete those.

Last edited by ProsTools; 06-13-2013 at 02:29 PM.