Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 07-06-2018, 03:08 PM

Default Create new audio tracks - spinning wheel

Every time I create new audio tracks, I get a spinning wheel and lose control for 1-15min.
Create new tracks - new tracks appear - freeze and spinning wheel appears - regain control after 1-15min.

*This happens only when I have lots of plugins/instruments(more than 10) in the session and try to create new "audio" tracks.
*The more plugins/instruments I have in the session, the longer the wheel spins it seems.
*I can create instrument/aux/midi tracks normally. no spinning wheel at all.
*Restarting Protools or machine don't help.
*I have 12core and 48G Ram so the machine power is not the problem I'm guessing.
*I've been trying to figure out which plugin is causing this but I still don't know yet.

Does anyone know why this happens and how to prevent from happening?

Thanks for your help!

-------
Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid2010) 2x2.66 Ghz - 6core Intel Xeon
Memory:48GB 1333Mhz DDR3
OSX 10.10.5
Prootols 11.3.2
MBox Pro3
Old 07-07-2018, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Create new audio tracks - spinning wheel

having exactly same problem, for ages now, thru different version of PT 12 and 2018. Especially using commit, 1 out of 5 gives me the spinning wheel
Must be a Mac problem, tried to pin down the problem, plug in, drivers, updates, reinstall, etc... but no luck.
Have to wait the spinning wheel out, and continue working. Very frustrating....

I have two slaves connected with Vepro to the protools on Mac,
but I've seen it without the slaves attached as well.

Mac is also 5.1 - updated 12 core, 48 Gigb ram, ultra fast disks on PCIe
Old 07-07-2018, 12:54 PM

To both of you:
How is that 48 gig of ram implemented? Equal ram modules spread across the 8 slots? For that to happen it would have to be six 8 gig ram modules of the same spec.

I have a single hex core 3.46 GHz 2012 cheesegrater with three 16 gig ram modules running PT11.3.2 under OSX 10.10.5 and don't see the issues you two are having.

To save you from having to look up my profile my system drive is a Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB SSD on a pcie adapter card. My sessions drive is a 4 TB 7200 rpm spinner in one of the internal drive bays and my samples drive is another 4 TB 7200 rpm spinner in another drive bay.

QAPLA!
Old 07-08-2018, 05:01 PM

Thanks guys.
I got 4x8G and 4x4G.

Just curious, why do you think the ram implementation can be the cause?
If that matters, it would cause other problems I would guess..

When Protools creates new audio tracks, what exactly happens in the system? does anyone know?

I wonder why this particular action (creating new audio tracks) brings the spinning wheel.

My session file is usually in either PCIe SSD or internal SATA 3TB. I see the spinning ball in both occasions so the location of the session file doesn't matter I guess?
Attached Images
File Type: png memory.png (30.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-08-2018, 05:20 PM

What are your Playback Engine settings?
What does your system usage show when this starts happening?

If you could post screen shots of both (Setup>Playback Engine and Window>System Usage with all the arrows opened up)

Also, are things in record when this happens?
Also, try reducing your backup settings/level of undo in preferences to the minimum.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpointmusic View Post
Thanks guys.
I got 4x8G and 4x4G.

Just curious, why do you think the ram implementation can be the cause?
If that matters, it would cause other problems I would guess..

When Protools creates new audio tracks, what exactly happens in the system? does anyone know?

I wonder why this particular action (creating new audio tracks) brings the spinning wheel.

My session file is usually in either PCIe SSD or internal SATA 3TB. I see the spinning ball in both occasions so the location of the session file doesn't matter I guess?
For best performance it's always been the thing to have identical ram modules in the slots. Mac Pros have triple channel memory with slots 1 and 2 each on their own channel and slots 3 & 4 sharing a channel. And it's not just size but speed - there's two different ram speed modules available for a cheesegrater and you can't mix speeds for things to work right. What I'd suggest is dropping the modules in slots 3 & 4 and getting a single module that matches the ones in slots 1 & 2 and putting that into both slot 3's.

QAPLA!
Old 07-09-2018, 10:12 AM

>BScout
Thanks for the comment.
Nothing is in Record when this happens.
I turned off the auto backup and set the Undo to 1. No luck.
Activity Monitor shows PT is using CPU=108% Memory=1.80GB when the session is running. When I create new audio tracks, CPU jumps up to 206% (Memory usage stays the same), then says "Not Responding" and I get the spinning wheel.
PT's system usage looks normal. (CPU=30%, Memory=15%). It freezes when I create new audio tracks.
I attached the screen shots of playback engine and system usage. Please check. Thanks.

>musicman691
Thanks for the comment.
I attached the screen shot of my memory implementation in my previous post. I have 8 slots. So I should get rid of 4x4G and replace with 2x8G?
hm I wanna solve this without spending any money but I'll try that if I can't find any alternative. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg usage.jpg (67.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png playback.png (29.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg project_window.jpg (77.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-09-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpointmusic View Post
>BScout
Thanks for the comment.
Nothing is in Record when this happens.
I turned off the auto backup and set the Undo to 1. No luck.
Activity Monitor shows PT is using CPU=108% Memory=1.80GB when the session is running. When I create new audio tracks, CPU jumps up to 206% (Memory usage stays the same), then says "Not Responding" and I get the spinning wheel.
PT's system usage looks normal. (CPU=30%, Memory=15%). It freezes when I create new audio tracks.
I attached the screen shots of playback engine and system usage. Please check. Thanks.

>musicman691
Thanks for the comment.
I attached the screen shot of my memory implementation in my previous post. I have 8 slots. So I should get rid of 4x4G and replace with 2x8G?
hm I wanna solve this without spending any money but I'll try that if I can't find any alternative. Thanks.
Yes - drop the 4 gig modules and get two 8 gig modules as long as they're the same spec as the existing 8 gig modules. Again that's the key to success and stability - all ram of same size and spec.

QAPLA!
Old 07-09-2018, 05:27 PM

Turn off dynamic plugin processing

Try that first

then also try changing your playback device from the mbox pro to your in-built audio for the Mac.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the comment guys.
So I've been trying things all day and no improvement.

I turned off Dynamic plugin processing, changed the playback device to Mac Built in, and even took out 4x4G Ram so there are all same four 8G modules(same brand), I tried every combination, still no luck.
I turned off wifi, dropbox, external HD, and all applications running, but no change.

Interesting thing is:
Let's say I create 5 new tracks, I get the spinning wheel for 3-5min, then tracks become available. I delete these 5 new tracks and create 5 new tracks again. No spinning wheel. Tracks become available instantly as if PT learned how to create these 5 new tracks from the first time.
Then if I add 5 more new tracks on top of that, I get the spinning wheel again.
So whenever I create something "new", PT freaks out.

Maybe it has something to do with track name or routing?
I really want to know what exactly happens to PT/plugins/Mac when PT creates new tracks.

Anyone has other suggestions?

Thanks.