Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2009, 06:26 PM

Default Upgrading to Pro Tools 8

Hello. I have PT 7.1 running on OSX 10.4.11

What do I need to get/download/buy to be running PT8. I also have MPTK 1 and would like to upgrade that.

What is the cheapest and easiest way to do all of this?

Many thanks for your help.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Upgrading to Pro Tools 8

Compatibility & Upgrade Information

filosofem
Old 11-21-2009, 06:33 PM

Too much to sift through on there..
Old 11-21-2009, 07:43 PM

Hey OCD,

Here's a step by step:

I don't know if you're on a Mac or PC. If you're on a Mac, the first thing you need to do is upgrade to Leopard, which may be hard to find a copy because Snow Leopard is out now (PT is not officially qualified with that, though the have a temporary prerelease version). If you're on windows, ignore what I just said.

PT 8 is $150 regardless of where and how you buy it. I'd recommend the boxed version because there's a separate disc of loops which is convenient because you can install it when and where you want. If doing the download version, it's a very big download and time consuming. The boxed versions are harder to come by but most guitar centers have a couple on hand. If not, guitarcenter.com and musiciansfriend.com have some currently in stock. If doing the download, you can buy it from anywhere, including the Digistore.

PT8 is a complete install, even though it says upgrade. It is recommended that you do a complete uninstall of your current protools version. There is an uninstall utility on your computer that was installed when you first installed protools. I forget what it's under but it's somewhere on there. You select "uninstall protools" and then are given the choice for "complete uninstall". Choose that. It will not uninstall any of your third party plugs (including Digi Factory plugs) so don't worry. Then you install the PT8 program. If you bought the disc you'll want to download and install the latest updates from the digi site before you actually run the program. If you buy PT8 via download only then it should have the most current updates.

As for Music toolkit. PT 8 is standard 48 tracks. Your existing toolkit will already expand that to 64 tracks. However, as a current toolkit owner, it's only $50 to upgrade to Music toolkit 2. This can only be done through the digistore (download only). It is well worth doing that mainly because you will get Eleven LE (very cool). You will also get Structure LE, which sounds like it would be cool except that it's had a lot of issues. Anyway, worth the $50 bucks for Eleven LE.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-21-2009, 07:49 PM

Can you read that to me and tuck me into bed.

filosofem
Old 11-22-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Hey OCD,

Here's a step by step:

I don't know if you're on a Mac or PC. If you're on a Mac, the first thing you need to do is upgrade to Leopard, which may be hard to find a copy because Snow Leopard is out now (PT is not officially qualified with that, though the have a temporary prerelease version). If you're on windows, ignore what I just said.

PT 8 is $150 regardless of where and how you buy it. I'd recommend the boxed version because there's a separate disc of loops which is convenient because you can install it when and where you want. If doing the download version, it's a very big download and time consuming. The boxed versions are harder to come by but most guitar centers have a couple on hand. If not, guitarcenter.com and musiciansfriend.com have some currently in stock. If doing the download, you can buy it from anywhere, including the Digistore.

PT8 is a complete install, even though it says upgrade. It is recommended that you do a complete uninstall of your current protools version. There is an uninstall utility on your computer that was installed when you first installed protools. I forget what it's under but it's somewhere on there. You select "uninstall protools" and then are given the choice for "complete uninstall". Choose that. It will not uninstall any of your third party plugs (including Digi Factory plugs) so don't worry. Then you install the PT8 program. If you bought the disc you'll want to download and install the latest updates from the digi site before you actually run the program. If you buy PT8 via download only then it should have the most current updates.

As for Music toolkit. PT 8 is standard 48 tracks. Your existing toolkit will already expand that to 64 tracks. However, as a current toolkit owner, it's only $50 to upgrade to Music toolkit 2. This can only be done through the digistore (download only). It is well worth doing that mainly because you will get Eleven LE (very cool). You will also get Structure LE, which sounds like it would be cool except that it's had a lot of issues. Anyway, worth the $50 bucks for Eleven LE.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for this dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Can you read that to me and tuck me into bed.
Less of that sunshine..
Old 11-22-2009, 04:57 PM

Good luck.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:35 PM

I felt it was unnecessary to start a whole new thread being that I have a question on the same subject, but I've also been looking to upgrade from PT7.3 to PT8 (M-Powered on PC -- OS=XP). I've been afraid that I'd lose my Wave plug-ins (due to compatibility issues) and/or lose my final mixes from current and past songs I've produced. I've always had 7.3, so after the upgrade I wouldn't know what to expect concerning accessing everything I've done in PT 7.3. I hope all this makes sense, but please inform me on what to expect after the upgrade (i.e. would I have any problems with pulling up any of the sessions from 7.3?).
Old 11-27-2009, 10:41 PM

As I mentioned in my previous post, completely uninstalling your old protools and installing 8 will not do anything to your third party plugs, or your sessions. I'm assuming M-powered would be the same as LE, in that you find the "uninstall Protools" utility and select "complete uninstall". See the manual for where that might be located.

As far as compatibility, when I was on 7.3 I was using Waves version 6. It worked fine in 8 as well. Waves has just come out with version 7 and if you're still current on your WUP you might as well upgrade, assuming it's compatible with Windows XP (you should double check). FWIW, I'm on a Mac.