How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 11-09-2018, 11:39 PM

Default Re: D-Verb warble

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSD-Studio View Post
Well, “better” is not an objective term.
I’ve got revived an relab480 any many more fantastic reverbs that I live and that sound “better”.
But this almost cheap sounding graininess of d-verb is perfect for metal snare drums, I have not found a single one that does the same thing for me, it’s become a massive part of my “signature” drum sound.
I would never use it for anything else since I got “better” sounding reverbs, but this one thing it does on snares is something that no other reverb can do for me. With today’s processing power it really shouldn’t be a problem for avid to fix this, a lot of people are still using d-verb (in fact many of my colleagues are using it for that very same reason$.
Avid will not fix it, don't hope for it...
While I completely understand your nostalgia for d-verb, at the end its just the matter of "home work". You will find a modern replacement of d-verb if you simply open yourself to trying all these new plugins...
Try Exponential Audio, some of their plugins have built in EQ, Distortion and Dynamics algorithms to make it sound right.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2023.12 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 11-10-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Well, “better” is not an objective term.

I’ve got revived an relab480 any many more fantastic reverbs that I live and that sound “better”.

But this almost cheap sounding graininess of d-verb is perfect for metal snare drums, I have not found a single one that does the same thing for me, it’s become a massive part of my “signature” drum sound.

I would never use it for anything else since I got “better” sounding reverbs, but this one thing it does on snares is something that no other reverb can do for me. With today’s processing power it really shouldn’t be a problem for avid to fix this, a lot of people are still using d-verb (in fact many of my colleagues are using it for that very same reason$.

It has nothing to do with processing power. The modulation was added in later versions. If anything, the additional modulation would require more CPU power.

If you really can’t do away wth that grainy sound, here’s a suggestion. Go back to the old version if you can and create an IR of that setting that you like and load it up in any convolution plugin. Done!

If you can’t load the old version that doesn’t have the modulation which, from memory, was the RTAS version, then I’m sure you can ask one of your colleagues to do it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2018, 12:31 AM

That’s a great idea actually, thanks!
Old 11-10-2018, 01:32 AM

Indeed it is.

Done it for myself and others numerous times.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:47 AM

Damn, used the sweep Waves supplied and created an IR for IR-1 according to their guide.
still doesn't sound the same (initial attack, high end and stereo spread seems off)....
well, guess I'll just have to say good bye to dVerb then.
thanks anyway!
Old 11-10-2018, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Damn, used the sweep Waves supplied and created an IR for IR-1 according to their guide.

still doesn't sound the same (initial attack, high end and stereo spread seems off)....

well, guess I'll just have to say good bye to dVerb then.

thanks anyway!

Well I just tried it using the Plate setting as that doesn’t have any modulation. Sounds pretty damn close to the D-Verb version to me.

I use Voxengo’s deconvolution plugin with a 6 second sine sweep. The IR reverb needs to be increased by a couple of dB, but that’s to be expected. Aside from that, I think it’s pretty much the same and in the context of a mix, I’d say virtually indistinguishable.

Is this the first time you’ve created an IR? Perhaps you’ve done something wrong along the way?

Old 11-10-2018, 06:03 AM

Nah, have done it a couple of times.
But this one was particularly easy since I literally just used the sweep that waves supplied specifically for this purpose.
Run it through the reverb and print the wav.
Then literally just import wav into IR-1, that’s it, IR-1 is doing the deconvolution process etc for you.
Literally fool proof, zero chance to fck something up.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:18 PM

Well something is up, as the process works fine for me.

If that D-Verb setting means that much to you, I’d investigate further and perhaps try a different piece of sw for the deconvolution process.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:46 AM

Just found this thread and wanted to add my 2p.

I've hated the modulation in D-Verb since I switched over to HD Native from TDM. I've just tried convoluting using the IR1 and I think I've got it to sound pretty damn close - at least, for my needs. The overall output level is a bit out compared to the D-Verb so that needs adjusting manually, but otherwise pretty happy.

NB No point people putting "just use another reverb". I have a bazillion fancy reverbs, most of which I've found to be completely useless in the context of a mix. The D-Verb does its own thing and - depending on context, of course - what it does works pretty well.