Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2020, 04:12 PM

Default Can't open Projects - Can open sessions

Recently switched from Logic because of collab feature. I am logged in in Pro Tools 2020.5 Ultimate as well as Avid Link. On 6/8 at my office I was working in a project editing tracks just fine. Uploaded changes, saved, closed and shut down MacBook. Fired it back up at home, Everything is signed in but when I go to open the project nothing happens. I mean still staring at the desk top kind of nothing (as if I didn't click at all). Meanwhile I can still see the events from other invitees in avid link - just no project opening - not even a PT window of any kind. Go to open a session and all is well.

Fun Facts:
1. I'm not the owner of the project when the problem first started. Other invitees are still ok.
2. Can't open any other projects I'm part of either unless I created it.
3. I back up redundantly. But what's the purpose of collab if you can't open projects?
Old 06-10-2020, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Can't open Projects - Can open sessions

First welcome to DUC.

I wish you had read around on DUC about how bad the cloud collaboration stuff is before switching. There are many many warnings here. I'd not want to inflict that on anybody. I would go back to working on disk, copying sessions around. If you are otherwise happy with Logic Pro there is no reason to switch.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:03 PM

Thanks Darryl, I have seen a lot of bad press about collab but I'm here now. When it was working it was working good. My instinct is that my problem is local though. Doesn't even try to open. Not even a spinning pinwheel, errors or a stuck progress bar.
I'll still work in both DAWs. but PT is the standard in most studios and a Logic Projects won't shake hands with PT. Got find out why I can't open the collab based PT projects. I can't be the only one with this specific issue.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:26 PM

Yep. Sorry I don't have many suggestions, or a real clue here since I'd not risk working with cloud projects, but here are some things to try.

Logging out of Avid and back in.
Reboot your computer.
Trashing prefs (with this - http://petegates.com/pg-pt-prefs.html - as long as you really have 2020 not Pro Tools First.).

You can look and see if there is a cached session is on your drive or not. But I'd not mess with it (see locations here https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...t-files-stored)

Others may have more of an idea.

If stuck you can open an Avid support incident here https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support (DUC is not really a way to get direct support... but if you get an incident number and still get stuck posting it here may help).
Old 06-11-2020, 07:22 AM

I do have Ultimate. Need way more than 16 tracks. I'll take a look at your suggestions and follow up here. Could help someone else if this is not a one off issue.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:12 AM

2020.5 has other options for collaboration like DropBox, Google Drive and OneDrive. Avid seem to be encouraging users to move away from Avid's Cloud Collaboration.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 06-12-2020, 05:56 PM

Had to spend the money on an ASC but got it done. Don't know how but Pro Tools folder that live in the local User location got moved to the iCloud location. I didn't make the the change that I am aware of.

Just spit balling here:
* iCloud or iClod preferences
* Catalina

Who knows, but that kept projects from opening. Collab back to normal. Great feature if it keeps working. Knock on wood. My situation requires a team in several locations and time availabilities to work on tracks in a strict deadline.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
2020.5 has other options for collaboration like DropBox, Google Drive and OneDrive. Avid seem to be encouraging users to move away from Avid's Cloud Collaboration.
Can you point me in the right direction for how to use another cloud storage option. If it is more stable I'm in.
Thanks in advance!
Rick