Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2010, 08:02 AM

Default Singer needs to re-sing a filmed concert...

If this needs to move to post forum, please do so...

A concert that was filmed (video) needs a singer to come in and do fixes. The video production company is in Europe. The talent is in US. I have been hired to get the talent to re-sing.

Is it as simple as asking the post facility to give me stems and a quicktime?

If I want to hook up a monitor so the talent can see picture while they are singing... is it as simple as using a 2nd monitor for the video? What about timing delays to the video? Does PT compensate so that what you hear is what you see? Where does ADC fit into this?

Any sand-traps that I should be aware of?

I am not going to be mixing this... just tracking the talent and returning a comped stem of the new vocal.

I asked about ambience and they don't seem to care... they just want a better vocal and they will do the rest.

Is this all built into the software that I have used daily for 20 years? DO I need other hardware for the video playback?

Thanks for anything you can share...

J
Old 10-18-2010, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Singer needs to re-sing a filmed concert...

Taking a wild guess jereme, I believe that the most important thing is for him to replicate what he did, exactly the same way, since most likely the ambience mics, drums ( if there is any, dont know what kind of music is ), etc, already have recorded what he did

This is a very common practice in the pop market, whit the so called "live" albums

I would say that letting him listem phrase by phrase what he has to re do, and maybe ( this works with my bass player) letting him watch the protools track he is replacing, will be more effective.

After all, if he resings it the same way, it should match with the video

HTH
Old 10-18-2010, 09:12 AM

Can't answer most of that - I usually go out through a Canopus with the video offset measured with a Syncheck, but I believe DV on a second monitor (standard PT video playback) is frame accurate (and not through a FW interface, which is why I have to Syncheck-it).

Keep the QT on a separate drive. I'd track the vocal straight out 1-2 to keep ADC in check. If you have the singer in a booth, with the QT running on a display in there, I'd recommend setting up a mirror facing that display so you can see the picture (albeit, reversed) in case there are cues that require picture-specific communication between you and the talent.

You're gonna find that the talent wants to deliver such and such line(s) differently (which is why you were hired in the first place, ) and you'll have to be in the sticky middle of trying to get lines that are better, but match. Whenever the camera is right on the talent, you'll be pretty locked in to what you can get away with. I heard a story about STP's MTV live video where Scott was a little tipsy and was having a good time, singing nursery rhymes and such. Hours before the audio deadline, everything was mixed and ready to send back to video. Scott waltzes in (the night before the deadline) and demanded to sing all 18 songs over again. They didn't match. The suits were pissed!

I'm sure it'll be sweet, though.

Good Luck!
Old 10-18-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyroberts View Post
The video production company is in Europe. The talent is in US.
I can't speak from experience, but you might want to ensure that there are no PAL-NTSC issues. Not sure if that's a factor in your situation.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:54 AM

Thanks to all who have responded... I have assembled my shopping list of questions for the producer...

J
Old 10-18-2010, 12:02 PM

Probably would be good to keep VocALign nearby too
Old 10-18-2010, 01:28 PM

Just remember, If it is a PAL video you will need same monitor. Good luck and tell us how it went
Old 10-18-2010, 01:39 PM

I don't envy that task. I just had to mix a live EP where all the vocals had been replaced and I felt like I was going to go to hell for the sheer dishonesty of it.

Good luck. I guess we're all turd polishing in one way or another.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
I don't envy that task. I just had to mix a live EP where all the vocals had been replaced and I felt like I was going to go to hell for the sheer dishonesty of it.

Good luck. I guess we're all turd polishing in one way or another.
HAHAHAHA, well said sir!
Old 10-18-2010, 03:43 PM

VocAlign used to be the key to have handy, but nowadays, elastic audio can be your very good friend.....