Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 07:56 AM

Default os10.3.5 (error code -36) when copying files to dv

Has anyone seen this and have some insight? Mac os 10.3.5 getting an (error code -36) when copying files to a dvdr for backup?
Old 02-22-2007, 08:07 AM

Default Re: os10.3.5 (error code -36) when copying files to dv

You mean copying FROM a DVD-R?
Or are you talking about burning a DVD?
-36 from the finder is usually a read/write error. Happens when drives fail or the media is unreadable.

frank.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:12 AM

Copying to a DVDr is when I get the error... I've also had it when copying between external firewire drives, and even from the internal to external drives. I can still open the sessions in ProTools no problem... I can't seem to narrow it down to a specific drive... CompUSA techs had it for four days, and did a 'soft' reinstall of the OS... They said the computer passed the mac authorized tests, whatever that is... I'm at a loss right now...
Old 02-22-2007, 08:16 AM

I also got the error message when opening a session from the same drive as the os... played fine, but it the task window was searching for 2 missing fade files... I closed the session and in the task window it said something to the effect of 'rendering fade files (error -36)...
Old 02-22-2007, 08:18 AM

How do you "copy" to a DVRr?

You can burn a DVD using Toast or the finder. When does the error occur? While the DVD-r is being burnt?

frank.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:22 AM

Try this: Close the session. delete the fade-files folder of that session. Empty trash. Open the session and have PT re-create all fades.
Or alternatively just don´t burn the fades to the DVD. It´s a waste of space and PT can easily re-create them anyway. I never burn fades to backups. Sames spave in large sessions.

frank.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:27 AM

Actually before the burn... Using the finder... dragging files onto the dvdr icon...

My system has been rock solid for a while... something is breaking down I suppose. The only other type of research on the -36 error has to do with a drive being too full... I have recently been using a new external firewire (lacie D2) ... 250G... 2 partitions... one is about full right now... just a few meg available...

Is it possible that that jumbled something else? I can't believe (yet) that it's the external drives though (unless it triggered something else) because I've had the errors when no externals are connected...

I'm going to connect my externals to another mac and do some backups/tests... just to be sure the data is not really screwed (and it's not an external firewire issue)... Can't imagine that the files are corrupt since I can still open up the sessions no problem..

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:38 AM

Unfortunately it is certain audio files that it hangs on when doing the actual copy to the dvd...

The fade file situation just came up last night after I got the computer back from the shop... I opened up a session that I had on my OS drive, just to see what would happen (before connecting any external drives). Hung up the whole system when the message came up (ProTools wouldn't quit) and I had to do a hard reboot.

I had a secondary internal hard drive that I unplugged at that point... the OS rebooted ok, and I had a session so I plugged some externals and cautiously went to work. I thought at that point that maybe that other internal drive was the culprit. At the end of the session I backed up my files to multiple externals, and then, went to copy some files to a blank dvd... error code -36 ... again...
Old 02-22-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Actually before the burn... Using the finder... dragging files onto the dvdr icon...

My system has been rock solid for a while... something is breaking down I suppose. The only other type of research on the -36 error has to do with a drive being too full... I have recently been using a new external firewire (lacie D2) ... 250G... 2 partitions... one is about full right now... just a few meg available...
!
LaCie? There you go. Get rid of the drive right away and try to copy everything off of it asap. Don´t buy a new Lacie drive.
-36 error is usually the first sign of a dying lacie drive.
First you get read/write error then the drive becomes slower and slower when copying then it dies.

I had 4 die like that.

frank.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:05 AM

Apparently it was main drive (os) that took a dump... Thank god for the exact clone I made a few months back. Booting to the clone has kept me working. Thanks!