Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 06-19-2015, 08:27 PM

Default VENUE D-Show losing connection to stage rack

Doing a multi day festival with Avid D-Show at FOH. Standard FOH and Stage Rack. Console software V3

I loaded the second band of the day show file. No issues loading, no warnings. Stage Link LED flashing yellow. The stage rack shows up in devices with dotted lines in between FOH and is grayed out. Signal present on all inputs and outputs being used but have no head amp control over gain, pad,+48 etc. Surface shows changes but changes are not registering. I power cycled the stage rack and everything came back to where it was supposed to be. No issues for the show. Next band loaded a show file and the same thing happened. Again power cycled the stage rack and problem was fixed. Loaded the next band file and no issues with the stage rack. Anybody out there have any similar experience? Thoughts? Perhaps it was the one bands show file configuration that was messing with things? Thanks all!
Old 06-20-2015, 08:57 AM

Default Re: VENUE D-Show losing connection to stage rack

Hi, all in all it's a computer, things can happen. But it can be a hardware issue as well. Good to hear you did not have issues with the actual shows but to be safe in the future, contact Venue Support and they most likely will ask you to send in log files. They will assist you how to get them out of the desk and will help you to get to the bottom of the issue.

Additionally, it's been said that it is a good practice to regularly re-install software on Venue desks, just to keep them clean and healthy, especially if they see a lot of visiting artist show files.

And one more thing to always keep in mind is that you should always power the FOH and Stage rack from the same place on the same phase, grounding issues often show up as a pile of Snake CRC errors. I know you did not say you had these but I'm just saying to remind about the fact.

US Venue Support number changed in May, so here are all worldwide current numbers for your convenience:

US/Worldwide:

+1 650-237-1711 (NEW)

LATAM:

+1 954-746-0956

Europe:

01753 659 500 / +44 1753 659 500

Korea:

82 2 782 4215

China:

86 10 67096127

Japan:

81 3 3505 6138
Old 06-23-2015, 07:56 PM

I've had this happen before and ended up replacing the main input board in the stage rack. You should be able to power cycle the rack in the mean time until you get the part in.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:07 PM
Avid

Hi Josh,

The symptoms described would point me towards a suspect snake card, cable or connectors. It sounds like only one direction is working (hence audio from Stage Rack to FOH Rack, but no return path for control). The loading of show files may or may not be a red herring, tough to say.

Couple of things to try:
- check all cables and connectors (including connectors on racks)
- reverse the cables and see if the problem also reverses
- open FOH rack and reseat all cable connections, including those to the DSP card(s)
- if it's a single stage rack system try connecting the FOH Rack snake card to DSP 1 instead of DSP 2, and enabling Stage 2 (and treat the single rack as Stage 2). This might rule out a DSP issue (which seems highly unlikely).

Calgary, eh? I grew up in Edmonton. Small world.

Sheldon