Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2013, 05:53 AM

Default Artist Control-So Many Issues

I'm not sure whether to give up on the Artist Control or stay at it. I truly love the concept and the power it promises. But the functionality on my system is so erratic as to render the Artist Control too unreliable for serious use.

First: I'm running Windows 7 64 bit on a dedicated DAW. I'm using Cubase 7 with the latest Eucon adapter. I'm running ver 2.7 software with the latest firmware.

My issues are intermittent and very annoying:
1. Tracks disappear on Track screen
2. Aux transmits data then stops
3. Soft key renaming does not stick - I'll name the soft key and it will revert back to the default Cubase name.
4. Connectivity issues. Some softkeys work, others don't. But only intermittently.
5. Ever-present screen flicker
6. Lockups when instantiating an insert
7. Too many other little things to mention

The firewall is disabled and I'm running Eucontrol as Administrator. The computer is VERY clean. Only Win 7, Cubase 64 bit and a few VSTi.

While I'm not sure, the issues seem to be mostly software related. Eucontrol just doesn't seem to play nicely with others. After about a month of working with it, I'm ready to return it for a refund and seek another solution for my studio. I suppose there are many who just have had their systems work smoothly from the start, but I'm here to ask those who have struggled like I am, if they ever got things settled down and working on a reliable basis.

If so, do you have any advice for me? Anything I might try to get things working as expected?

Thanks,

-Rich
Old 03-09-2013, 09:46 AM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe
Default Re: Artist Control-So Many Issues

Eucon has amazing potential but it would require a full development team working full-time on it to reach that potential. Right now it is mostly a glimpse at what future consoles will be like, as the amount of bugs is mind boggling and the user interface is as archaic as possible - copy-pasting is yet to be integrated and the menu of commands cannot be resized, for example. I am saying this with the most respect for the competences of the few people working on it atm. It seems obvious after 16 months of development, that if all they can come up with is a compatibility update that introduces new bugs there is a serious management problem.

Anyway, perhaps things will get better after the investigations...
Old 03-09-2013, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm still hoping that someone on this forum has experienced similar problems and overcame them. Maybe if I can replicate their fixes I can get things running a little smoother.

In the meantime, the Artist Control is simply not reliable enough to use on a day-to-day basis. While my DAW is well built, I'm willing to start from scratch with a new hard drive and go step-by-step until I get things running smoothly. But I hate to put in that effort (it's huge) if the end result is the same system issues I'm having now.

Anyone else?

-Rich
Old 03-11-2013, 02:26 PM

Well, I was hoping to get a little help. But maybe everyone has similar problems. There's no shortage of complaining threads all over the internet about one issue or another with the Artist Control.

Because I like the concept so much, I've really tried to make things work. But maybe it's just time to box it up and send it back.

Maybe there'll be a new version soon that won't be so problematic.

-Rich
Old 03-11-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBowlin View Post
But maybe everyone has similar problems.
....... yep.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:05 AM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe

Considering the situation of Avid at the moment I'm not certain it's a good idea to make major investments in their products. It was a good thing to buy when it came out, but now I would be afraid of a product discontinuance or drop of support following another drop in shares value.

If there is no credible update coming out soon to restore my faith in the product I will sell my modules next month.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Avid

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I'm still hoping that someone on this forum has experienced similar problems and overcame them. Maybe if I can replicate their fixes I can get things running a little smoother.

In the meantime, the Artist Control is simply not reliable enough to use on a day-to-day basis. While my DAW is well built, I'm willing to start from scratch with a new hard drive and go step-by-step until I get things running smoothly. But I hate to put in that effort (it's huge) if the end result is the same system issues I'm having now.

Anyone else?

-Rich
Have you contacted Obedia or AVID support to troubleshoot?

JC
Old 03-13-2013, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Haydon View Post
Have you contacted Obedia or AVID support to troubleshoot?

JC
Yes, I have. And they've been responsive too. But the issues have not been cleared up. The Avid support person told me that the Eucon software could be "finicky" at times. We all know what that means.

Finicky or not, there may be setups that are working as expected. I'm hoping to hear from users that have successfully navigated these issues and now have a stable, reliable rig.

-Rich
Old 03-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Avid

Quote:
Yes, I have. And they've been responsive too. But the issues have not been cleared up. The Avid support person told me that the Eucon software could be "finicky" at times. We all know what that means.

Finicky or not, there may be setups that are working as expected. I'm hoping to hear from users that have successfully navigated these issues and now have a stable, reliable rig.

-Rich
Hi Rich,

I've sent your issues to SQA to take a look. They might be contacting you directly. Send me your email at [email protected]

JC
Old 03-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xill View Post
Considering the situation of Avid at the moment I'm not certain it's a good idea to make major investments in their products. It was a good thing to buy when it came out, but now I would be afraid of a product discontinuance or drop of support following another drop in shares value.

If there is no credible update coming out soon to restore my faith in the product I will sell my modules next month.
Hey Xill

You're a valued users and contribute meaningfully to the dialog of this board.
Please help us keep it focused on specific bugs. We are currently watching in closely, building a backlog of high priority bugs.

JC