Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 04-05-2018, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Mbox Pro 3 not working with MacOS Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj-Ike View Post
What 'new' drivers. 3.1.5 has been up there since 2016. Am I missing something?
Hey,

By "new" I meant "latest" as in the December 22nd release. I've had the problem for a while but since I had purchased ProTools in perpetual mode, I hadn't paid the yearly "support/upgrade subscription" so I put the MBox aside for months and months until finally deciding to cough up the money to get back to producing...

Everything worked fine under El Capitan with ProTools 12.3, when I upgraded to Sierra I started having problems and up to now support hasn't been able to help me yet. My thunderbolt port clearly works with the Ethernet adaptor and Monitor adaptor, so I'm guessing the problem isn't on my Macs side, but I'm getting an almost daily reply from support with different things to try out.

I'm hesitating on just buying a USB MBox because having to use a Firewire 400 to 800 converter plugged to a Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt converter is already ridiculous enough, IMO. Why can't they develop a Firewire 400 to Thunderbolt converter so I can have 1 cable and not 3 cables? They want me to buy a spare of each just to try and see if the problem's coming from one of them... With all that money being spent, I would've almost been better off repurchasing an MBox Pro w/ ProTools without paying 300$ for the support/upgrade sub + eventual cables and what not...

I'll keep everyone posted if they find a proper solution because I've seen a lot of posts around about people having this without ever having a decent solution..

Cheers
Old 04-05-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postscriptumch View Post
the December 22nd release.
Correction : I mean the Oct 26 2016 driver. Support brought me to this link : http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/download/en379411 that was last updated on Dec 22nd, but the driver was released a whole year and a half ago. Sorry for the mistake! :)
Old 04-05-2018, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postscriptumch View Post
Correction : I mean the Oct 26 2016 driver. Support brought me to this link : http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/download/en379411 that was last updated on Dec 22nd, but the driver was released a whole year and a half ago. Sorry for the mistake! :)
No sweat! I've been crappin' bout it from last year. It was working fine for a while on Sierra, but then came the point six update, and everything just stopped working. I don't have any cable issues, the darn driver won't install. Been asking support about it, but the answer I got back was "you shouldn't have updated to High Sierra" I didn't bother to reply because I stated in the message that I'm on Sierra, nothing High about it. I just gave up, and bought another interface. But, if anyone solves this, a lot of Avid users will jump for joy..... Till the next problem

Sent from my SH-04H using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2018, 04:35 AM

I may have found the problem. I have another MacBook Pro which I successfully updated to High Sierra, and everything works as it should. Mbox Pro3 is recognized and playing audio. Now when I tried to update the OS on my main MBP, High Sierra wouldn't install whatsoever. I did some checking, and the difference is the SSD that I have installed. The one that works is a Crucial, and the stubborn one has a Samsung EVO. Someone has suggested that due to the firmware in the Samsung, the update will not work. And also, the driver for MBox Pro will not install either. The question now is, what's the solution to this problem?
Old 04-11-2018, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj-Ike View Post
I have another MacBook Pro which I successfully updated to High Sierra, and everything works as it should. Mbox Pro3 is recognized and playing audio. Now when I tried to update the OS on my main MBP, High Sierra wouldn't install whatsoever.
I've managed to plug my MBox Pro into my girlfriends new MacBook Air without any drivers installed and it didn't force a crash/reboot, so I now know that the problem isn't my adapters or directly the MBox, but I did manage to upgrade my macOS to 10.13.2 and my ProTools to 2018.3 and support has told me to go to macOS 10.13.3 with ProTools 2018.4 and I'm still getting the same problem.

I've uninstalled and manually checked all library folders to manually uninstall any MBox driver-related files as requested by Avid Support and reinstalled the MBox Pro 3 drivers and still the same problem.

My hard drive is an APPLE SSD SM0512F according to my System Profiler.

From what I gather with my initial error screen when running macOS 10.12.6 this issue seemed to be kernel-related, but I'm not at all qualified to even start understanding what to do and what this could be... Your HD hypothesis seems like an eventual starting point.

Let me know if you get any more info on this! I'm close to getting a used iMac for my studio just to put this problem behind me but I'd love to spare the cash...
Old 04-11-2018, 09:16 AM

[Solution Found! (at least for the time being)]

I think I may have found a solution to the problem. At least, for the time being it seems to work and I've been able to boot my computer, open ProTools and play music through the MBox from an old session.

The process was : System Preferences -> Network -> Thunderbolt Firewire and in the Configure IPv4 dropdown menu select : Off instead of using the pre-selected "Using DHCP".

This seems to have allowed me to boot the computer while having the MBox turned on.

I hope this works for you guys as well!! Avid support was utterly USELESS and I could've avoided reactivating my support/upgrade package and spared myself $300 in the process to buy something more useful...

Let me know if this works for you guys too and hopefully everyone will be able to get back to producing! <3
Old 04-17-2018, 05:58 AM

Hey guys, has this worked for you? I still haven't had a problem since this fix and I can finally take full advantage of my setup again, so I'm hoping this might have been a solution for you guys as well!
Old 04-17-2018, 11:22 PM

Didn't work for me. I can't get the installer to work, and can't upgrade to High Sierra either. It's finished for me. I give up.