Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2012, 05:09 PM

Default Font Problem in HD 8.1.1

Man I am beat on this one.. I've been doing a hell of a whole lot of searching on this issue and still haven't been able to solve any problems yet as I assume, unfortunately for me, most just don't have this one..

The nitty gritty:

Over the course of a few weeks I had noticed the fonts and text size within the plugin and IO drop-down menu located on each type of track (in both the mix and edit windows) begin to change and at times briefly switch back to normal.. Nothing unreadable, jumbled, or glitchy like what others with similar issues that had preceded me reported.. As my issue specifically relates to just the size and actual font itself - which after having gone into font book I learned was named "Geneva". Although sometimes it's not Geneva but instead looks similar; Larger, spacier, bolder. It also affects the audio-suite drop down menu too but seems to be relatively contained in the above I described.

My attempts to fix the issue concluded that the font smoothing, OSX compatibility issue within certain monitors wasn't the culprit - As well as the font duplicate/font validation fix in font book, which actually did yield results stating I had a Times Roman duplicate I successfully deactivated. After that the problem continued to persist so I cleared out the font cache to no avail as well.. But all fonts did pass validation off the "all fonts" tab in font book.

What do you guys think it could be?? A corrupted font lurking in the shadows somewhere? I was hoping chief tech/digi/avidsupport could take a quick gander and opine, not just for me but for the others as well that might experience the same in the future.. I'd very much appreciate it sirs.

I'm running HD 8.1.1 on 10.6.7; 10.6.7 with limited updates as to not interfere with everything too much
Old 10-17-2012, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Font Problem in HD 8.1.1

Please let me know if you need anything else or any more information including pictures, as i'll be closely monitoring the thread every hour or so just in case -

I also do have access to Linotype FontXplorer as I downloaded the demo
Old 10-17-2012, 05:22 PM

I'm going to run through the osx optimizations check list one more time (I did last night) to make sure everything's where it should be again too - check

Trashed prefs, volumes, and databases - check
Old 10-18-2012, 07:21 PM

Totally fixed it guys.

I'm still not sure exactly what the problem was, but I apparently succeeded anyway.

Heres what I did:

-Opened font explorer and made sure everything was setup correctly.
-Clicked on "clean system folder" (or something of the like)
-Did it.
-Restarted.
-Moved the newly created folder with everything that had been removed by FXplorer (from the system/library/user files) off my desktop onto a backup drive.
-Tried to trash the folder off the original drive I made the backup from; it wouldn't let me so I changed all the permissions via command+I which fixed it except for a few more that remained and were "still in use".
-Went back into font explorer and trashed all application and system caches
-Restarted.
-Tried to trash the bin's remaining contents.
-Success.
-Opened a session.
-Success.

Didn't have to use the pref utility either..

If you do this in the future though it's worth saying trash all your caches AFTER you clean your fonts.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:40 AM

..ok. I admit it. Mayyyybe I spoke a little too soon..
Problem remains: affirmative.

Check out the font that pops up in the video when this dude creates a new playlist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziD-V...e_gdata_player

That's it exactly what it looks like. It's keep alternating between normal and this -

ARGH!

Help!
Old 11-01-2012, 03:53 PM

No one?
Old 11-01-2012, 03:54 PM

Should I try over at apple?