Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2012, 12:24 PM

Default boss/roland/hardware etc..Drum machine as midi controller/trigger into eleven rack

Hi
i think my thread was too specific. i should ask this generally.

how do you get a drum machine to control/trigger drums in an instrument/midi track with a drum vst (like superior drummer 2 or ezdrummer)?

thanks
Old 05-03-2012, 04:59 PM

Default Re: boss/roland/hardware etc..Drum machine as midi controller/trigger into eleven rac

connect it to the computer with Midi over USB or Midi cable to the interface.

Set it up in Midi Studio.

Then basically check the CC#'s of the drum VI and set the pads to transmit the correct # to trigger the drum/cymbal for that pad - repeat until you have all pads transmitting the correct numbers.

The information you need should be in the instruction manuals of the drum machine and software vi, just give them a good read through.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 05-04-2012, 06:46 AM

Default Re: boss/roland/hardware etc..Drum machine as midi controller/trigger into eleven rac

thanks benoni

ill give it a shot

i dont have any literature on the drum machine and the lit in pro tools was very general for midi, so i didnt know how to setuup the drum machine/pt settings...

ill keep u posted
Old 05-04-2012, 08:20 AM

Whatever drum machine you have, you should be able to find a manual for it on the internet, usually from the manufacturer's site.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:33 PM

foudn the manual online, and got it working: setup>input devices>external!!!! (not 11r)
Old 09-30-2013, 12:30 PM

I know this is resurrecting an old thread, but I have a similar, though more convoluted question...

Before the days of a DAW, I used to use a Roland R-70 (and before that, a SC Drumtraks), coupled to an Ensoniq ESQ-1 for sequencing and drums on demos. I still have all of the data dumps on cassette (yes, they're THAT old ) and/or RAM card, so it can all be dumped back into the devices.

Lately, I've wanted to try to resurrect/re-work some of those old tunes, and in order to save myself some programing time, thought I could perhaps get that MIDI data into Protools (10) somehow.

The question, is how? This was before the days of GM or .mid sequences, so I can't just import a file. Can I just "play" the tunes from the ESQ or R70/DrumTraks into PT over MIDI (and if so, how do I sync the tempo - does PT get "slaved" to the MTC/SMPTE of the Roland/Ensoniq?), or do I do a data dump from the devices and import that into PT?

Help would be much appreciated.