Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 04-02-2018, 10:23 AM

Default Help needed please

Hi everyone

I have just purchased a Focusrite 2i2, gone through the download procedure for Protools lite/plug ins/drivers.

I am using windows 10.

Protools recognises Focusrite, mics, instruments etc.

I connected the mic, created new track, chose the i/o but the pre-record doesn't show any signal. It did at first, but doesn't now.
I get a message"unable to create record files. Check your disc allocation and drive permissions".

Problem no.2 I can access the preloaded plug ins, for say, drums, but again get nothing in pre-record.
This is driving me crazy. What am I doing wrong. I am a total novice, so plain speak please.

I have also uninstalled Protools, and reinstalled. No luck.
Thanks in advance
Old 04-02-2018, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Help needed please

Hello and welcome to the forum. As a first measure, please read through the Help Us Help You thread, where you will find good information on setup, optimization and general troubleshooting of Pro Tools. You will also find information on how to post system information, which can help others spot problems and offer help.

The issue you are having could be a permissions problem.
If you are not the administrator on your system, and havne't already done so, uninstall PT (again) and this time, right click on setup and choose Run as administrator.

After installation, right click on the Pro Tools icon and select Run as administrator. If you are still not able to record anything, you will have to go to the folder where you are storing your sessions and make sure that you have write permission.

Another thing you will want to do is make sure Windows is not using your Focusrite interface as it's default sound device.

Go through the Help thread, give these suggestions a try and let us know how it goes.

System Details
Old 04-02-2018, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Help needed please

Thanks for the rapid response.

Uninstalled, reinstalled.
I ran as administrator, even though I am the only user.
When PT is loading I get a blank/white message which stays on the screen for a few minutes, and then disappears whilst PT continues to load. (I didn't have any error messages in the install on either occasion)

I was able to connect a guitar, and could see it playing in pre-record, but it still won't actually record. Screen shot attached.

A pre-installed Plug-in for a drum, changed Protools so that you couldn't actually read the task bar, and the drum plug in still wouldn't record/play. Screen shot attached.

Finally I am getting a lot of error messages, which also seem to be for plug ins.

It is very frustrating. I only want to have a bit of fun
I am obviously either doing something wrong, although I have viewed the tutorials several times, or it is an install issue?

Thanks for any further suggestions

DL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plug in error message.jpg (18.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg error message.jpg (17.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg tracks permission.jpg (20.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg installed plug in changes screen.jpg (21.5 KB, 0 views)