Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2018, 05:29 PM

Default Pro Tools 2018, Windows or iMac Delma

I switched to PT from Studio One. I have a new HP windows PC with the needed requirements for PT 2018.
My Delma is I am working with a professional music programmer who uses iMac.

I am considering selling the PC and getting an iMac.

I never had a desktop Mac as I could not afford to get a new Mac after a few years.

Would appreciate any insight into which iMac to get. Is it best to get newest processor, and 1T SSD drive? The 27” allows for ram upgrade.

Thank you
Old 03-23-2018, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2018, Windows or iMac Delma

First off is what is a 'Delma'? Google turns it up as a Swiss watch company.

But back to the topic at hand:
You have a Windows machine and are thinking of getting an iMac because your collaborator is using one. Is there any legitimate reason you have for going this route?

Full disclosure here: I use Apple product here - my recently deceased iMac in my profile and the MacPro cheesegrater I'm using now; used a Windows machine for running Sonar back in the day.

I love the Mac operating system (OSX) much more than Windows and will never go back. That's not to say there's anything wrong per se with Windows it's just what I like working with. PT sessions created on one system will open on another system. The only fly in the ointment is if you don't have all the same plugins as the other person but there are ways around that (opening PT in safe mode).

On to hardware:
iMacs are neat in that everything is all in one enclosure but that raises a problem with heat. SSD's don't create the heat that a spinning drive does so there's not that thing but the video card does create a good bit of heat. Might not be a problem in the new design - just writing from my past experience with my iMac.

The 1TB ssd is a good start - you don't want what Apple calls a Fusion drive which is a combo of a small ssd and spinner drive. It swaps data back and forth from the sections at will and supposedly according to usage. Not good for audio work. Assuming one can install third party ram get the bare minimum from Apple and get more ram from someplace like OWC. Also don't forget to budget for an external drive for PT to record to. And a fast cpu won't hurt.

And again this all comes down to why, if you have a working setup, you want to get an iMac?

QAPLA!
Old 03-31-2018, 08:06 AM

I think there is no need to switch to an iMac yet on my opinion. If your collaborator is using Pro Tools too you both can easily exchange sessions across both platforms.

If you both are using plugins etc. which are compatible to Windows & Mac you should be able to open sessions and send them back and forth.

However the new iMac's using the i7 processors are pretty powerful. Also you could have a look at some newer refurbished Mac Pro's as well (if you still want to switch to a Mac).
Old 03-31-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbarkley View Post
I think there is no need to switch to an iMac yet on my opinion. If your collaborator is using Pro Tools too you both can easily exchange sessions across both platforms.

If you both are using plugins etc. which are compatible to Windows & Mac you should be able to open sessions and send them back and forth.

However the new iMac's using the i7 processors are pretty powerful. Also you could have a look at some newer refurbished Mac Pro's as well (if you still want to switch to a Mac).
And for a refurb machine take a look at what OWC has on offer. They have both the cheesegrater and iTrashcan models.

QAPLA!