Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 03-31-2017, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 and AMD Ryzen CPU's

Hi Guys,

Thought I would mention that I am successfully running Pro Tools on a Ryzen 1800x system and just ordered the parts to build a 2nd one.

Only had 3 real issues.
1. Getting a compatible CPU cooling fan. The first word was that the past AM3 fans would not be compatible. That's not true. The standard Coolers like the wraith that come with AM3 chips will work. They will clip on just the same. That part hasn't changed. The mounting pattern on the board has changed though, so the aftermarket stuff with specific mounting systems don't work. This processor is worth the extra dough to keep it cool and lasting long though, so I bought a coolermaster with a AM4 "bracket" but it didn't work right. It was a hack job to jump on the Ryzen train. Radiator covered the RAM. I ended up getting a Noctua specifically designed for AM4. Highly recommend that. $70 but really nice and effective. A more affordable option I might recommend would be a Zalmann CNPS5X. Especially if you plan to run the 65w Ryzen 1700 without overclocking.

2. The mouse wouldn't work (as to install the drivers from the disc) with windows 7 until I installed the chipset drivers. I fixed this by popping the OS drive into a docking station on another pc and I drag / dropped the install files to that desktop folder. Rebooted and keyed my way through the install. Mouse came right on during the process.

3. iLok kept giving me an error during software installation that I needed to update Windows. I was totally up to date. Here's the Microsoft fix for that. Just run it if you get the error.
http://www.catalog.update.microsoft....px?q=kb3125574

So here's the system specs...

RME FireFace 802 connected USB.

Windows 7 64 Pro
AMD Ryzen 1800x
Crucial Ballistix 64gb (16x4)
Gigabyte AB350 Gaming
Gigabyte 1050 TI (loads of HDMI outs )
Crucial SSD
Corsair CX500 500W PSU

I hope that helps!

And just for the sake of conversation, my 2nd system will also run Pro Tools and I will be syncing them via MIDI, using one system for VI's and the other for Audio. (I'm film composing and just terribly sick of toggling the buffer.) I have 2 RME 802's for this. I also will have 2 Vienna Ensemble servers running and each with AMD FX 8350's and 32gb RAM. All value AMD stuff. This may seem odd to most but it is pretty much a dream setup for a film composer.

-Adam
Old 04-03-2017, 09:12 AM

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...?f=31&t=480801

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...ormance-5.html

Sorry about putting another forums post on here, but it was just easier. My results are listed as well.
Michael Joly Mod'd Blue Mic Bluebird microphone, SPL Channel One mic pre, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 interface, Ryzen 1700 Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit computer, Pro Tools 11, Akai MPK 49, Event TR8XL monitors
Old 04-14-2017, 02:03 PM

So... Any updates on this? Anyone consistently using Pro Tools with a Ryzen processor who can let us know how it's working?
Old 04-16-2017, 12:54 PM

I've been using protools 11 off and on for more than a month now, no issues. I have the Ryzen 1700. I'm liking it a lot.
Michael Joly Mod'd Blue Mic Bluebird microphone, SPL Channel One mic pre, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 interface, Ryzen 1700 Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit computer, Pro Tools 11, Akai MPK 49, Event TR8XL monitors
Old 04-17-2017, 09:34 AM

Hey! Just wanted to tell you all how happy I am with me Ryzen 1700.
I've been reading this forum for years, since I got my first PT system back in 2008 and I've come here for help over and over.

I also had a look here to see if anyone tried PT with Ryzen processors before I bought it. I took a chance and got it without knowing if it'd work and now I can tell you that I couldn't be happier!!! Huge change for me as I was using a very old medium-range i5 2400 processor.

I've done a couple of benchmarks in case someone is interested in seeing how Ryzen performs in PT.

This is a standard DSP stress test compared to my old i5 (in case someone is considering the same upgrade I did)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ5DGWXShhI

In the second one, it's a VST test with a session of mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj_ZxOqJ-EI

I hope you're all enjoying your Ryzens in PT as much as I am :)

Cheers
Old 04-21-2017, 03:59 AM

I had the same situation, going from an old computer to a Ryzen 1700. Big difference noticed for sure. Either way I went, Ryzen or Intel, would have been an upgrade, came down to price for me. And the performance is way beyond what I had previously.

Really happy with my Ryzen 1700 computer's performance. 👍👍👍
Old 04-21-2017, 08:39 AM

Have you dealt with the low buffer performance problems I keep reading about?

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 04-21-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griff71177 View Post
I had the same situation, going from an old computer to a Ryzen 1700. Big difference noticed for sure. Either way I went, Ryzen or Intel, would have been an upgrade, came down to price for me. And the performance is way beyond what I had previously.

Really happy with my Ryzen 1700 computer's performance. 👍👍👍
Same here man! My processor was really old and the difference in performance is huge as shown in the DSP video that I shared previously.

With the VSTs is such a huge difference as well. Even more to me in this field, as I have a UAD DSP accelerator so I could always do some tricks to same some CPU load but now I don't have to do that :)
Old 04-22-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Have you dealt with the low buffer performance problems I keep reading about?
You keep using these terms without qualifying them though....

As I wrote elsewhere, based on Scan's DAWbench tests:

"First benchmark:

6900k - 336 at 64 buffer
1700X - 300 at 64 buffer
7700k - 186 at 64 buffer.

7700k has 55% of the performance of the 6900k, for 350/1000 = 35% of the price....

1700X has 300/336 = 89% of the performance, for 400/1000 = 40% of the price."

How is it that it's only the Ryzen that has "performance problems"?

In the VI test:

6900K - 980
1700X - 520

520/980=53%.... So 53% of the performance for 40% of the price... Isn't that pretty much dead-on, except for still being a better value?
Old 04-22-2017, 04:08 PM

Hey man!

Have you read the comments in the Scan Pro Audio video that you're referring to? (here's the link by the way, for everyone to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj57X_WDojc )

English isn't my mother tongue and though I went to uni in London sometimes I get confused, so I'm not sure what was your point about the Scan Pro Audio video in regards to Ryzen processors. Anyways, I'll leave my opinion about it here.

I'll tell you this; I've been using Ryzen in Pro Tools 12 for a month now and I'm really impressed with it. I am not gonna lie though, these chips are one month old and there are still some issues that AMD and the motherboard vendors will have to fix with time. For instance, I've ran benchmarks with PT but also with video games and audio middleware solutions like Wwise and FMod. In games there is room for improvement, as Ryzen isn't given as many frames per second (FPS) as the Intel counterparts. The CLEAR reason? EVERY game right now was developed with a focus on Intel processors and to take advantage of the procesors IPC (instructions per Core) rather than focusing in optimizing them for multi-core processing. Ryzen was not out when all these games were in development. Ashes of The Singularity, a very popular game to conduct benchmarks just launched a Ryzen patch and the performance in the game (in FPS) improved by a 33%.

Back to PT and the audio world: The same thing happens with DAWs. No DAW released as of now was tested and developed for Ryzen processors. It is therefore so obvious that this chips won't perform as good as they could. I've experienced some issues with the RAM memory the first days, but MSI (my motherboard vendor) released a BIOS upgrade and corrected this problem.
However, as MSI kept updating the software that controls the overclock of the processor I've noticed some performance problems both in games and in PT. The Command Center application that controls my Ryzen's OC seems to take almost a 2% CPU load (I'm trying to fix this problem) and it doesn't make a big impact, but it's certainly an issues that needs to be fixed.
This problem might be related to MSI B350 Tomahawk motherboard only though. If I stop the process taking the 2% CPU load and don't use MSI's Command Center everything goes back to normal. The thing is, I need to use this for gaming as I need to control the processors fan, but it is totally fine when I am using Pro Tools.

Software related problems aside, I haven't had any issues with my Ryzen in PT. With my old i5 2400 (I know this one is a low mid-range processor) I could load only one insert of BFD3. With Ryzen I've used 4 BFD3 tracks and it runs smooth as silk in a session full of Kontakt VSTs (orchestral session).
In my humble opinion Ryzen offers the best bang for the buck at the moment. I do recommend buying it to those whom, like me, had an old processor and need to get as many cores as possible to work with audio and don't want to spend a crazy amount of money in doing so.