Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 08-08-2020, 02:37 PM

Default Some audio files being converted to elastic...against my wishes

Hi all,

I'm struggling with importing. I exported all of my tracks from Studio One to bring into Pro Tools and most are just fine. However, whenever I import one of two mono tracks (bass top and bass bottom) Pro Tools immediately creates a poly version of the file and nothing lines up correctly.

None of my other tracks appear to have this issue, and I've disabled the elastic setting in the options.

I've tried creating new tracks in case it was tied to the event track, and I've re-exported the files. Nothing is working.

I'm hoping someone here can help.

James
Old 08-08-2020, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Some audio files being converted to elastic...against my wishes

When you import are you dragging and dropping or are you using the File/Import menu? I've never heard of some tracks being in Elastic and some not upon import.

Go to...
SETUP/PREFERENCES/PROCESSING/ELASTIC AUDIO -
Make sure that Enable Elastic Audio On New Tracks is NOT checked.

And what do you mean it doesn't line up correctly? On the Audio Import Option you can make the audio go to the session start, the selection (where your cursor is), or Spot.

If this isn't working also, you can try to import and put the file in the Clip List on the right. THen you can drag where ever you like.

If your audio files are moving around then i'm wondering if those tracks are in SAMPLE or TICKS.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:46 PM

I get this sometimes as well when dragging and dropping from the Mac OS Finder. Never really looked into it too much, but thought it was strange.

I will say that it seems to happen if I’m dragging in loops from a sample library so I’m wondering whether there’s some tempo metadata on the file that PT picks up and automatically creates an EA track for it.

Unsure, but it’s never bugged me enough to delve further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post

I will say that it seems to happen if I’m dragging in loops from a sample library so I’m wondering whether there’s some tempo metadata on the file that PT picks up and automatically creates an EA track for it.
Good point. Didn't think of that.

Isnt' there a drag and drop from desktop Conforms to Session Tempo option in preferences? I remember seeing an option like that, but never really had to use it.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:21 PM

Thanks for jumping in guys!

I have tried dragging from the desktop as well as using the browser and using the File > Import. I had not tried it from the Clips view.

I just drug one of the files to the Clips view from the Windows Explorer and a really weird thing happened. Even though I dragged one file, two actually show up in the browser. There is no play button by them. Here's a picture:

Interesting to note: these files are the only files I didn't create myself. They are from a bass player I had play the bass and he sent the files to me.

It appears there are multiple audio components in the file? If so, any ideas on how I remove the extra file?
Old 08-08-2020, 07:17 PM

That’s not a play button. It denotes a multi channel file. If you click it, it will expand to show the L and R components of the stereo file so you can choose to use one side if you want.

Also, the two copies are the same file, but one is an edited clip of the parent file. You’ll notice that the top one is darker than the bottom one. That’s the original and the lighter one is the non destructive edited clip of the parent file.

Now you’re probably going to say ‘but I didn’t edit the file’. You’re right... but, if memory serves me correct, if EA is enable on a file, it will add an ‘edited version’ of the clip. So if this is one of the files that is automatically being turned into an EA clip in the timeline, then it’s normal behaviour.

Hope that makes sense. Not in front of my rig atm, but I’m pretty sure that last statement is right.

Old 08-08-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txm View Post
Good point. Didn't think of that.

Isnt' there a drag and drop from desktop Conforms to Session Tempo option in preferences? I remember seeing an option like that, but never really had to use it.

There is, but I believe that is turned off.

I’ll double check when next in front of the machine.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:06 PM

This was really helpful, thanks!

Rather than see what happened at export from S1 I just dragged the bolded file to the track and it seems to work fine. It didn't create a poly version - woot!

Thanks for the help on this - I really do appreciated it!