Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-10-2009, 12:15 PM

Default Simple recording issue strangling me.

First, let me say thank you to all who have posted and helped out already on this forum. You all have already helped me along my way into this hobby/profession.

So enter my problem now. I have recently purchased an Mbox 2 which installed nicely, and so did the Pro Tools LE 8 software. So after plugging in my monitors, I hooked up my guitar to the DI port and hit the DI switch in the front. I created a mono instrument track. Set the input as my interface, and the output as the main audio output. I can hear my guitar through the monitors normally, and plug-ins are working fine as well.

Now I want to record something. So next I record enable the track, hit record on the transport, and tap the space bar. I play a tune, but the region shows no wave form at all, just a solid box. When i stop to see if there is any playback, there is none. My OS is installed on a seperate IDE drive. I have an SATA HD that pro tools is installed on, that is also set to R(record and playback) in the workspace window. I think my problem has to do with Disk Allocation. When I create a track, it does not show in the Disk Allocation window. However, I can play back all of the templates that come with the software.

My problem is similar to this.. but the solution is not the proper solution I need.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...orms+recording

Thanks for reading, and happy holidays.
Leo
Old 12-10-2009, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Simple recording issue strangling me.

You sure you want an instrument track instead of an audio track?
Old 12-10-2009, 01:04 PM

"I created a mono instrument track."

This is the problem right here. Don't feel bad as its a typical newbie goof. An instrument track is NOT for recording instruments. Its a combination of midi and audio monitoring. To record your guitar, create an AUDIO track.

Now you also have a second problem going on. Your post says you have installed Pro Tools on a separate drive. This is not how its done. Pro Tools should be installed on the C: drive. The audio drive is where you create/save and record your audio. IOW, when you open PT and select to create a new session, you point to the recording drive.

Once you get all that squared away, you need to read up on how and why you use the MIX knob. It will get a workout. Start with it halfway and remember that audio is still recorded if the record-enabled track is muted(trust me, this is a good thing). Let the learning begin!

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-10-2009, 01:05 PM

Exactly, what they said.^^^

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-10-2009, 01:20 PM

Thank you for the input. I sure am a noob, and a goof.

I will reinstall properly and retry.