Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2019, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Plugin Alliance insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Totally! I have all the time in the world for Dirk, PA and their continued support of AAX-DSP. I don't really see what all the fuss is about the subscription plan. Nothing has really changed at my end. Same plugins, work well and sound great. What else really matters? What is happening on GS is pretty weird. It's like a lynch mob trying to drive prices down. I can't figure it out. It's like Dirk has become a victim of his own generousity... how that actually puts him in the wrong, I don't know.
The whole episode cannot be characterised as a simple introduction of a subscription plan. If it was, it'd be cool. Instead, it was the tactics used to do so.

The tactic used was a straight talk personal letter broadcast to the masses of customers. To paraphrase, there going to be new products, lower prices and exciting new programs amd the unbelievable deal of a lifetime. They even sent letters out the night before. What do we see? These introductory prices on new products for "heavy hitters" twice as much as they would have been and the deal of the lifetime is a not cheap subscription package.

it's the entirety of the situation. We feel lied to, maybe more insulted, like when a company tries it's best to put a positive spin on what is in effect a pay decrease to it's employees.

So what if he simply started offering a subscription price for those who wanted one? That would have been fine. Did anyone bitch when East/West started offering subscriptions? I didn't hear anything. Who else did it - maybe McDsp(?) - someone else did something similar. An alternative revenue stream is fine and dandy. Congratulations for your keen endeavor. nope. We get marketing hype and BS to the point where it would have been easier to clear up if they had decided to shove ice cream cones up our butts. At least then we would not have been lied to in the fashion of a snake oil salesman at a carnival.

For the record, I've been - make that - I was a strong supporter of theirs.