Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2009, 03:37 AM

Default Bounce in place for PT8

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and I firstly want to say hi :)

I'm slowly making the transition from Logic 9 to PT8 for various reasons,the main one being the speed and ease of audio editing found in PT8.

One thing I would love to have in PT though is Bounce In Place. In Logic you can very quickly bounce a midi (or audio) region to a new audio region on a new track (or just the audio bin) and you have the choice to bounce with or without effects and with or without tail. I think this is an extremely powerful tool for composing, and it can help reduce cpu use as well as you don't need instrument tracks all over the place, each possibly just there to play a snippet of midi and nothing else.

If you like that feature as well, maybe you could vote it up here: http://protools.ideascale.com/akira/dtd/13063-3779

Apparently, this is an official site, so make sure you check out the other ideas as well.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:56 AM

Default Re: Bounce in place for PT8

Hello Spacedude,

Good idea. I will submit to this feedback link.

I tried out Flex Audio in Logic 9 and it gave me very decent results. Maybe even better than Elastic Audio. What audio editing features do you prefer in Pro Tools over Logic 9?

O-B
Old 08-25-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddbod View Post
I tried out Flex Audio in Logic 9 and it gave me very decent results. Maybe even better than Elastic Audio. What audio editing features do you prefer in Pro Tools over Logic 9?
It's the general moving around the arrangement that makes me prefer it..

things like the way you select and then play what's selected, the way the smart tool works and the fast way to switch between grid, slip and shuffle; the shortcuts in general like how you cut regions, move the cursor around; the way you can switch into that fast shortcut mode and use r, t, b, z etc, the zooming in general (although Logic has a pretty nifty set of zoom shortcuts as well, with a cool way to cycle through zoom presets and levels); the simple but brilliant track management, which I especially love when working with midi; the playlist functionality..

there's so much functionality that let you just fly through an arrangement that makes me love PT. I always seem to get slowed down in Logic when working with audio and I always seem to do more clicking than what's good for you.

If PT had some of Logic's midi functionality, like a good logical editor, and if it had Bounce in place, I would probably use it exclusively (well, apart from when I really need to be mobile, can't run it without the MBox of course) but even without it, I just really like it. It feel very me :)
Old 08-25-2009, 07:53 AM

Oh and.. the lack of annoying GUI bugs and overload messages helps as well.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:53 AM

Hi Spacedude,

I hear ya! The MIDI side, Bounce in Place and Flex Time in Logic are sweet. The navigation and audio editing in general in PT is sweet. I like where Logic is going and it's getting easier to navigate the arrange there and assign keyboard shortcuts to match PT shortcuts. For me using both PT and Logic is like having the dream team
I don't notice any GUI bugs. Where are they?

O-B
Old 08-27-2009, 08:15 AM

+1 for offline bouncing in PT.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddbod View Post
Hi Spacedude,

I hear ya! The MIDI side, Bounce in Place and Flex Time in Logic are sweet. The navigation and audio editing in general in PT is sweet. I like where Logic is going and it's getting easier to navigate the arrange there and assign keyboard shortcuts to match PT shortcuts. For me using both PT and Logic is like having the dream team
I don't notice any GUI bugs. Where are they?

O-B
If PT had Bounce in Place I'd use it for composing as well. I love working with audio in PT, I love the track selection too.

GUI bugs in Logic are mostly to do with refresh problems. Flex markers not updating in region until you click away and select again, play cursor breaking up when zooming, etc etc.. come to think of it, I think it almost always happens when Flex is active. They're ot show stoppers but theyask for extra clicks and they're annoying. I get cut-off audio in L8 projects sometimes as well. Takes ages to fix and sometimes cant be fixed and then I need to import everything and rebuild the project.