Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2015, 08:52 AM

Default Magma Expressbox7 EB7 Which one? Gen I or II

Hi

Not enough DSP, so I am looking for a used PCIe Expansion Chassis so I can get more HD PCIe Accel cards. I have a 12 Core MacPro (2010). It looks like the Magma Expressbox 7 is the way to go. I see there are 2 different generations of the EB7, Gen I and Gen II.

All I am seeing for sale in the used market is the Gen I, is there any real need or upside to the Gen II version?

The Gen II is double the throughput, but does an HD5 PCIe card system need that, or when would it be needed?

Also, I can't find any compatibility information on Expansions Chassis and ProTools 10 in Avid support. . . does anyone know the link to that info?

Avid article on the EB7: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-II&popup=true

I would have gone HDX a long time ago, but Avid did not bother to support the blue faced 192s and WAVES has not done AAX DSP either, so it seems me, and everyone else I know that already had HD3, is sticking to ProTools 10 with the old cards. I bet if all the math was revealed, AVID is actually loosing business revenue by their planned obsolescence strategy, but that is another topic all together.

Please advise is anyone knows more about which Magma EB7 I can/should use, and any other associated caveats related to moving the cards out of the MacPro and into an expansion chassis.

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2015, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Magma Expressbox7 EB7 Which one? Gen I or II

I think both are approved, Video & GCI both need higher bandwidth than Audio
the other related links seem MC related

To your other point, there were functions that were not doable in the old architecture and the old chips were End of Life/no further development
Parts manufactures discontinue parts lines regularly, I will not bore you with the hell I went through looking for an old Dolby PL Decoder chip for a system that needed it (it was cheaper than redoing the whole room but but it was a major PITA)

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-25-2015, 05:00 PM

The EB-7 is indeed the way to go. I got one about 9 months ago and am running it in my MacPro 1,1 with 7 cards. It is awesome.

I seem to remember reading something about the Gen II not being qualified for HDX but since you will be sticking with TDM I dont think it will matter.

There is absolutely no reason to wait around for a Gen II box as the Gen I is much, much more common and also fully supported by AVID.

There are two potential caveats I should make you aware of:
  1. If you are planning to run more than 5 cards you will have to budget for a new PSU for the chassis.
  2. You should also replace the front fan for a silent one. The stock one is incredibly noisy.
Regarding the PSU: Make sure you get a juicy one. Most EB7's are 6+ years old which is absolutely no problem as far as the components are concerned (it's just a rack with a couple of PCB's). But the PSU's will be knackered and not able to adequately power more than 5 cards under load.

I used to have a ton of unexplainable, intermittent Kernel Panics when running HD7. The crux was that all cards alwyas passed DigiTest which only tests the funcionality of all the chips. However, problems started arising when the chips were under load as they draw considerably more power then.

Because of the way each mix is evolving different chips on different cards will be allocated even if you are failry consitent as far as track count/voice allocation and plug-in usage is concerned. That means erratic behaviour is very difficult to pinpoint. A bad PSU can screw things up in more ways than one so if you buy a chassis and start having issues this should be your fisrt port of call.

I recently spent some long and very painful hours troubleshooting my system until a member on this forum pointed me towards the PSU as a possible cause (I should use this opportunity to thank Bob Nagy again for doing so).

Once I swapped out the PSU all of these problems went away. It is very easy to do only takes about half an hour.

Regarding the fan: I bought this one which is absolutely brilliant and not very expensive at all.

I would definitely get an EB7. It works very well and prices for Accel cards are very low right now. I am surprised there aren't more people buying them at this point.

HD7 Accel PCIe, Magma EB7 chassis
PT 10.3.10 Mac OS 10.9.5
SSL Delta Link HD 160 I/O

COCKOS REAPER (latest)
RME MADIFX (192 I/O)

ProControl (32 channel)
Old 04-12-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm_xtk View Post
The EB-7 is indeed the way to go. I got one about 9 months ago and am running it in my MacPro 1,1 with 7 cards. It is awesome.

I seem to remember reading something about the Gen II not being qualified for HDX but since you will be sticking with TDM I dont think it will matter.

There is absolutely no reason to wait around for a Gen II box as the Gen I is much, much more common and also fully supported by AVID.

1. If you are planning to run more than 5 cards you will have to budget for a new PSU for the chassis.
  2. You should also replace the front fan for a silent one. The stock one is incredibly noisy.
Regarding the PSU: Make sure you get a juicy one. Most EB7's are 6+ years old which is absolutely no problem as far as the components are concerned (it's just a rack with a couple of PCB's). But the PSU's will be knackered and not able to adequately power more than 5 cards under load.

I used to have a ton of unexplainable, intermittent Kernel Panics when running HD7. The crux was that all cards alwyas passed DigiTest which only tests the funcionality of all the chips. However, problems started arising when the chips were under load as they draw considerably more power then.

Because of the way each mix is evolving different chips on different cards will be allocated even if you are failry consitent as far as track count/voice allocation and plug-in usage is concerned. That means erratic behaviour is very difficult to pinpoint. A bad PSU can screw things up in more ways than one so if you buy a chassis and start having issues this should be your fisrt port of call.

I recently spent some long and very painful hours troubleshooting my system until a member on this forum pointed me towards the PSU as a possible cause (I should use this opportunity to thank Bob Nagy again for doing so).

Once I swapped out the PSU all of these problems went away. It is very easy to do only takes about half an hour.

Regarding the fan: I bought this one which is absolutely brilliant and not very expensive at all.

I would definitely get an EB7. It works very well and prices for Accel cards are very low right now. I am surprised there aren't more people buying them at this point.
Since you have 7 cards, does it see all 7 card chips?
Thinking about going this route when going to PT10HD.

Thanks,

Marc
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 04-17-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Since you have 7 cards, does it see all 7 card chips?
Thinking about going this route when going to PT10HD.

Thanks,

Marc
Yes it does. It is fully supported / qualified by Avid.

PT 10.3.10 Mac OS 10.9.5

COCKOS REAPER (latest)
RME MADIFX (192 I/O)

ProControl (32 channel)
Old 04-17-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Yes it does. It is fully supported / qualified by Avid.
Wow, that's great news. So your able to use all those chips.
9x7=63 total chips for 7 cards? right?

Or does it let you just use 6 cards with chips and the 7th card for inputs?

Thanks,

Marc
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 04-18-2015, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Wow, that's great news. So your able to use all those chips.
9x7=63 total chips for 7 cards? right?

Or does it let you just use 6 cards with chips and the 7th card for inputs?

Thanks,

Marc
Yes, you have 63 chips available and how you use them is up to you.

However, some plug-ins take more DSP depending on which chip they are instanciated on. That is the same for all TDM rigs though, regardless of the number of cards you have.

PT 10.3.10 Mac OS 10.9.5

COCKOS REAPER (latest)
RME MADIFX (192 I/O)

ProControl (32 channel)
Old 04-13-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:

Sorry to hijack this thread. I have a Magma P7R464 and have 7 cards fitted you mentioned you changed the power supply in your EB-7 because of kernel panics. im just wondering if this is related to my issue sometimes I suffer waves plugins not passing audio sometimes and I have to reload the sessions. Im wondering if its because the chips are drawing lots of power. My magma has the factory power supply in. Once again sorry to hi jack this thread

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 04-17-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread. I have a Magma P7R464 and have 7 cards fitted you mentioned you changed the power supply in your EB-7 because of kernel panics. im just wondering if this is related to my issue sometimes I suffer waves plugins not passing audio sometimes and I have to reload the sessions. Im wondering if its because the chips are drawing lots of power. My magma has the factory power supply in. Once again sorry to hi jack this thread
Really not sure as I have stopped using Waves plug-ins. I seem to remember vaguely having this issue years ago but cannot be certain now.

I suppose the thing to check is whether this is a common problem or whether it is unique to you. Also, is this something that's a recent development on a system that was fine before? I wouldn't have thought that certain plug-ins cause the chips to have more of a power draw than others (when taking the same amount of DSP).

Maybe try running a test session without using TDM and see if it happens on purely native sessions as well.

PT 10.3.10 Mac OS 10.9.5

COCKOS REAPER (latest)
RME MADIFX (192 I/O)

ProControl (32 channel)
Old 02-23-2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
used to have a ton of unexplainable, intermittent Kernel Panics when running HD7. The crux was that all cards alwyas passed DigiTest which only tests the funcionality of all the chips. However, problems started arising when the chips were under load as they draw considerably more power then.

Just added more HD PCIe cards to my Digidesign EB7. I had 4 cards and now I have 7. I did have one crash, but did work for a couple hours. I am wondering if the Power Supply limitation is the issue, and if so it is no brainer to upgrade the supply, or is it a fringe issue?

It is put together and in a rack at the moment, but it seems it is a standard ATX power supply? Curious what size repleacement Power supply would right for 7 HD PCIe cards, a 750Watt like this, or? Wondering the HD cards use more 12VDC or 3.3VDC, because it seems these larger repalcement supplies have less 3.3VDC Amperage than the original Magma 550Watt Supplies?

I did a bunch of searching/googling, and could not find the current draw spec for the HD Core/Accel cards. A link to that data, at full load, would be great.

Hoping someone has been thru these details. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Howardk; 02-24-2017 at 03:00 AM.