How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2014, 02:38 PM

Default Midi instrument on Aux vs Instrument Track

Specifically drums - SSD4 or Addictive
If I have a MIDI track triggering either drum plug, and the plug is on an Aux, it sounds like the drummer is drunk, even though it is perfectly quantized. It gets better if I have the H/W Buffer at a lower setting. If I put the plug on an instrument track, it is fine. Not sure if this is a bug, or just SOP. I don't recall PT10 doing that.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Midi instrument on Aux vs Instrument Track

Not sure what the problem is here...

Why would you want to put a VI on an auxiliary track?

You're using a Virtual Instrument...why wouldn't you just put it on an instrument track?

Am I missing something here?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 04-06-2014, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post

I was surprised, too .... Instrument track is the way to go. you could send the audio output to an aux, for processing, right? MIDI, however, should go either on a MIDI track, for outboard gear, or on an instrument track, for VIs, right, Bill?
PT 2018; Nuendo 8.?; Studio One 3; former Sonar and Sequoia user .... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active); Sibelius 7.0; Dorico; Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; 3 TB samples; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!
Old 04-06-2014, 04:05 AM

OK. SSD4 doesn't recognize MIDI that exists on the actual instrument track (at least for me), so I just assumed that it didn't matter if the instrument was on an aux, or on an instrument track. Thanks guys.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superclock View Post
OK. SSD4 doesn't recognize MIDI that exists on the actual instrument track (at least for me), so I just assumed that it didn't matter if the instrument was on an aux, or on an instrument track. Thanks guys.
It should. Check the Instrument section (edit or mix view) and see what MIDI channels are routed.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:01 AM

An instrument track is just a midi and aux track put together, so it should make no difference.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
It should. Check the Instrument section (edit or mix view) and see what MIDI channels are routed.
Can you point me in the right direction here? I've done this before, but I just can't get the MIDI on the instrument track to trigger SSD4. No problem if I have it on a separate MIDI track.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:59 AM

I remember during the initial record timing bug when pt11 fist came out that it was recommended not to use midi tracks to trigger vi's as there was some kind of delay compensation issue affecting it. I could dig up the thread but I thought it was fixed. What version of pt 11 are you running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Not sure what the problem is here...

You're using a Virtual Instrument...why wouldn't you just put it on an instrument track?

Am I missing something here?
I do this all the time...

If you want your drums (kick, snare, hat, toms...) in seperate midi tracks or have a sampler like kontakt with a bunch of different instruments in it. If you wanted the left hand and right hand of a piano track on seperate tracks... Etc...
Old 04-11-2014, 08:25 AM

OK, I'm back. I thought this was resolved, but it is still an issue. Playback on MIDI timing is directly impacted by buffer size, regardless of Instrument track or Aux track. If I have it on a high buffer size, it is clearly not following the grid. If I put the buffer down to 128, it is corrected. The problem is that I want to mix this trac with other plugs that eat up CPU resources. At a certain point, 128 is too low. Do I need to post clips for people to hear? No one else is having this issue?
Old 04-11-2014, 08:26 AM

I'm on 11.1.2