Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2012, 09:58 AM

Default Smaart and Pro Tools

We just got our new computer with PT 9 connected to the Venue and I'd like to have Smaart running on the same computer. Wondering if anyone has done this and were there any issues

Scott
Old 02-07-2012, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Smaart and Pro Tools

Works very well on some machines. But the drivers that come prebundled with the PT install are known to crash SMAART on almost all Win laptops, and some Macs too.

rational acoustics blames rouge drivers on Avids part.

Check out the raional forums, and this link :
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...ghlight=smaart

Regards,
Sidhu
Old 02-07-2012, 12:16 PM

It would probably be a more ideal situation to run Smaart on separate machine and use a KVM switch. This would be a lot smoother. I would imagine that a refurbished/used mac mini would work well for this.

This is one of those "pick your battles" situations. It would be a lot easier to keep them separate.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:56 AM

I've attempted to do this and found it to be kind of a pain. Using the core audio drivers you can get Smaart to recognize the inputs. However you also need a specific template in the console to pick off channels for Smaart. If you're using the same input list every time you use the console it might make it a little easier. The other issue is that you can't have Smaart and Pro Tools hooked to the console at the same time. Core audio will only let you use one program at a time. If you're running something like a Mac mini permanently attached to the console you're probably better off getting a 2 channel mic pre specifically for Smaart and leave core audio for Pro Tools.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:35 PM

Update on this. I used a Lexicon Omega as my interface into Smaart, Used a Matrix out of the console to get my reference signal into the Omega Line 1 input, plus have the Monitor output of the console routed directly to the Line 2 input on the Omega. The Mic input on the Omega has the Earthworks M30 for measuring purposes. Tried recording 25 tracks of Pro Tools with Smaart running at the same time with no issues. I'll have to see how things run when we are running all of the channels on PT (51) with full signal on each track.