Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-31-2007, 03:11 PM

Default PT WorkSpace Is Killing Me…

Is it me that is doing something terrible wring or is this just the way it is:

I am mounting a BackUp Physical drive - PT Hijacks it and I can neither repair nor unmount it as long as protools is running without ejecting it directly from the Workspace... If I eject it - it is obviously NOT present on my desktop - thus applications cannot access it.

2) When mounting a virtual disk image to install a software PT hijacks it and sets it to Playback. How can I playback from a volume that I cant even write to or copy files to for protools to read? What is the point of adding a virtual disk image to the workspace browser anyway?

Digi if you read this - please consider for future protools versions to do an overhaul of your workspace browser. I could understand and live with browsing there etc.. if it would be good but it is further back in deveoplment than Mac OS 7.5.3 - How anyone can browse with that thing without wanting to commit suicide is a riddle to me

Please - you have added right click features to protools - now it's time do something about this workspace browser -

Thanks
Old 05-31-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Re: PT WorkSpace Is Killing Me…

Quote:
Is it me that is doing something terrible wring or is this just the way it is:
I"m going to say thats just the way it is. I have the same operation.
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 05-31-2007, 10:25 PM

I think this has been a problem since the Workspace was invented. There are things about it I LOVE, but would much rather PT ask me if I wanted it to take over a drive once its connected to the computer.

There are times when I do... and like you, times when I don't.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:58 AM

I can't stand the browser...
and all the darn files it sticks all over your drives...
and the way it takes over drives and prevents them from being ejected even when they're not in use...

I so much prefer the apple browser and spotlight to find what i need. I use the workspace browser only as a last resort. A major overhaul would be fantastic.

Now, if the browser would include some information about the playlists in your session so you can know what files are being used in which playlists... that would be a VERY useful feature
Old 06-01-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
A major overhaul would be fantastic.

that'll cost ya!

Old 06-01-2007, 03:42 PM

one thing i hate from workspace and make me don't use it a lot.

when you drag and drop a sound file you have searched, if the sound file match the session parameters it will not beeing copied, no option for that. The other files are copied, so you have to go to the project browser to put all the files in the audio folder of your session. And if you're working with 5 or more sessions that ,need the same audio files (in post like me) it's impossible to make folders to put your new sounds in.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
one thing i hate from workspace and make me don't use it a lot.

when you drag and drop a sound file you have searched, if the sound file match the session parameters it will not beeing copied
...unless you hold alt while droping it to your session.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:28 PM

while they are overhauling that workspace, perhaps they could add some search and rescue utilities for damaged files. I recently had a hard drive crash, and rescued most of the files, but they were damaged, and all I get from protools is, "This file is unreadable by protools" perhaps a utility to analyze files for audio content, and possibly restore them for whatever condition they are in. (or perhaps they already did this, im still in the 6.2 dark ages till i pony up for some upgrades.)
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
http://www.kenyruyter.com
Old 06-02-2007, 02:39 PM

didn't know the "alt" thing.. thanks for that, but there still are problems with the workspace.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:29 AM

There is a great little utility that does pretty much what the workspace does, only way better. It's called Finder. The only upside PT Workspace has is the ability to audition audio files before importing them. I can already do that in the finder until PT takes over all sound and the Finder no longer outputs on my system, only the built-in speaker. A little programming trickery that would allow file auditioning through the Digi hardware while ProTools is running would make the whole Workspace redundant and we could get rid of it and all the problems associated with it. Multi-client audio drivers aren't rocket science anymore.

I know, I know... Dream on... But it would make a lot more sense. Competing software packages have taken a route along these lines and they wipe the floor with PT when it comes to finding and importing files.