Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2015, 11:01 AM

Default Something removed the gunk from my monitor chain

I have a magic box at my studio. I installed it, hit a button and less than a minute later my main monitors image like nothing I’ve ever experienced in my room. My low end is tight. Punchy. The sonic image of what comes out of my speakers appears to emanate from the speakers and not floating somewhere nearby. You would swear that the center image of a stereo mix IS coming from my center speaker. Panning is precise.

It took just about a minute.

The magic box that I have comes in a few flavors. One variant is an X-Mon replacement. One of the other varieties can be scaled up to 64 channels.

Trinnov

I’m still having trouble wrapping my ears around what happened.

I still need to do some tweaks by ear to tweak the EQ curve to something that I feel comfortable will translate to the mediums I deliver to. I believe we all do that. But out of the box, push a button and to have results like I have preliminarily experienced is mind-blowing.

I also took a quick snapshot from the client couch at the back of the room. Let’s just say I wouldn’t want to judge the amount of low end in a mix from that position. Massively improved.

If your interested in stopping by my studio before the weekend is over and having a listen, please contact me. I’m in Studio City.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Something removed the gunk from my monitor chain

Been reading about them. Monitoring control too right, improved routing and a better B chain. Kinda like the black lion for the 003 plus functionality.

You simply replacing the xmon or using for more than that?
Old 07-17-2015, 07:09 PM

Replacing an external monitor EQ. I use a MultiMax for monitor control. The x-Mon is a glorified speaker switcher in my set up for my 3 small speakers. This way the Trinnov is plug and play. Otherwise I need to rewire.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:55 PM

Long been a fan of Trinnov. Sadly I still can't afford the magic!
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...