Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2012, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Happy Belated Birthday, Eucon 2.6.2!!!

believe me... i get why everybody is up in arms... unfortunately.. 10 pages of AVID bashing aint gonna help matters any.. and yes the new OS woes are a very tiny part of this whole equation...

but i put it to you this way... one of my best friends is a programmer.. damn good one... he's 1 of 4 handling a startup company down in San francisco... they're writing a language app for iphones.. have 25 people working around the clock on the project..

well.. they've been at it for 2 years dude!! just finally released a full version in September, and thats just the start of their worries... hahahah...

coding is tough.. plain and simple... no way around it.. now try purchasing a company, the protocol and then toss in a new OS to run it on...
never-mind pro tools 10, which only just became fully stable with 10.2 & 10.3.2!!.. see what i mean? dont sound like business as usual to me
which if youre into programming you already understand its a hurry up & wait process... last i checked there were only 24 hours in a day!..

i' wouldve stopped chasing my tail long ago... we are only the consumer.. we do what we can with what we got... thats all..

and yes i'm vested into Avid as well.. big time!! i never pull no punches.. always shop at the top of the food chain... the bleeding edge if you will...

i'm not out.. i'll be sticking around...

Old 11-16-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
believe me... i get why everybody is up in arms... unfortunately.. 10 pages of AVID bashing aint gonna help matters any.. and yes the new OS woes are a very tiny part of this whole equation...

but i put it to you this way... one of my best friends is a programmer.. damn good one... he's 1 of 4 handling a startup company down in San francisco... they're writing a language app for iphones.. have 25 people working around the clock on the project..

well.. they've been at it for 2 years dude!! just finally released a full version in September, and thats just the start of their worries... hahahah...

coding is tough.. plain and simple... no way around it.. now try purchasing a company, the protocol and then toss in a new OS to run it on...
never-mind pro tools 10, which only just became fully stable with 10.2 & 10.3.2!!.. see what i mean? dont sound like business as usual to me
which if youre into programming you already understand its a hurry up & wait process... last i checked there were only 24 hours in a day!..

i' wouldve stopped chasing my tail long ago... we are only the consumer.. we do what we can with what we got... thats all..

and yes i'm vested into Avid as well.. big time!! i never pull no punches.. always shop at the top of the food chain... the bleeding edge if you will...

i'm not out.. i'll be sticking around...
To be honest mate what you have said about your friend is kind of irrelevant.

There is a huge difference between writing software and patching software. Patches are supposed to keep up with operating systems. Your friend may have spent 2 years on his app but you can bet he will not take that long on his patches.

I have been a professional developer (programmer) for my entire adult life but I would have been fired from any of those roles had I let a situation get this out of control.

I also make music in my spare time, not professionally. But I feel I should have the right to use my bought hardware regardless of the rest of my setup (Obviously with some leeway for patches).

I have used Logic since 5 with various sound cards, midi interfaces, and control surfaces and during that time I have never had trouble like this. And during that time apple started using intel chips and emagic ceased to exist.

I wouldn't usually bother writing in threads like these, but as a developer I felt I had to disagree with what you'd said.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
last i checked there were only 24 hours in a day!..
I have no sympathy for a large company that took my money and gave me a deteriorating product experience. Part of that money was for support. Where is the support?

I said it the last time and I'll say it again. I code on the Mac every now and again, and I know it's not straightforward. In this particular case, however, it's being blown out of proportion.

What I think Avid should do if they're keeping Euphonix at all:

1. Acknowledge the issues.
2. Ignore that "it's all going to change anyway" and sit one developer per OS down full time on the 2.6 branch against current firmware. Hire if they need. A single word brief: "fixes".
3. Start publishing the work asap as "nightlies" with no support, and discourage the large mass from upgrading. Unless something that worked has broken, defer all feedback; keep the dev's focus.

Why all the arguing? This has little to do with OSes and such. Hope Avid's other ear isn't deaf.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:27 PM

I have to say a lot of thanks to JC Haydon, who made my life a lot easier, using Adobe Premiere and MC Transport.

Unfortunately, nothing has happened since summer ... JC, if you are here, please tell us all, if an update is close, or pretty far away from now. The problem is, that we have to deal with our problems every day ... I have to delete EuControl and reinstitute it in Cubase 6.5 a few times every day.
Why don't you (AVID) update the platform step by step, as you go ahead? This would probably make life much easier.

No harassment on my side, I am just a little disappointed.

If you would just answer this question ... "What is to be expected", and everyone will probably be looking forward to what is to come.

All the best,
Damien.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:

never-mind pro tools 10, which only just became fully stable with 10.2 & 10.3.2!!..
I have to say bacchus what you are saying is slightly ill informed. There is a big difference between making software from scratch as your friend is doing and patching it post release. I have been a software developer my entire adult life and have never been involved with a project as neglected as this one.

For such an investment on the customers behalf, the fact that so many people are having problems or cannot use the hardware at all is awful.

I have used Logic since 5, gone through apple's acquisition of emagic, apple moving to intel processors and VSTs being replaced by audio units. All of these changes are far bigger than any apple have made to their OS in recent years and all of them caused me no more than a couple of months of compatibility related issues.

Given how happy I was when getting the surface and given the quality of the hardware it just makes me sad.

To those of you making this about mac vs pc, you seem to be purposely missing the point.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickeyD View Post
. There is a big difference between making software from scratch as your friend is doing and patching it post release.
you'd think that goes without saying... wouldnt you?..

either way... people are pissed off... haters gonna hate i guess.. using reason obiously doesnt work.. good luck with it...
n' round & round it goes...

Old 11-20-2012, 06:29 AM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe

Quote:
you'd think that goes without saying... wouldnt you?..

either way... people are pissed off... haters gonna hate i guess.. using reason obiously doesnt work.. good luck with it...
n' round & round it goes...
Avid just has bad top managers. They fail to see the potential of so many products and of their best employees. I one meet a guy they have hired here to demo the Euphonix console and he knew nothing about music beside placing pre-made loops together. Meanwhile they have fired the entire London Sibelius team... which just got re-hired by Steinberg! ... oops! You just gave money and fired the team that will destroy you with their next product...

Awaiting the next big mistake --> the drop of support for Euphonix. They would then lose me as a customer for good.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:45 AM

Is there a 'like' button for Xill's comment?
Old 11-21-2012, 09:22 AM

It truly is a bad piece of software as many have said before me.

As a UI designer I really hate the program. Its interface is far surpassed by Logitech's G series gaming software.

Also, I just switched to Windows 8 and my Transport doesn't seem to send commands to the active application. It communicated with EuControl - it knows what program is active, it knows when I've turned on the jog and shuttle and in Task Manager I do see activity over the Ethernet port. But still my commands are not sent. Anyone knows how to fix this? I tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

Regards,
Asaf
Old 11-21-2012, 09:49 AM

It would be nice if copy and pasting etc was added to the application and the window resizing issues were rectified to make them more in line with apple's finder window style

Also adding the SSL mix-in-front or whatever it's called, the function where the selected track remains the same level and all other tracks drop 10/12db that would be amazing

More flexibility would be great, like for those of us that don't need the Monitor Control Room functions having the ability to lock that to something else would be great, make the most out of the limited amount of controls

Thanks!