Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2018

Old 04-09-2018, 10:19 AM

Default Moving MiDI from one grid to another (redefine where the beats are)

Hi all, have an interesting question about moving MIDI data from one section to another.

I have a session of a live performance of several instruments which was not played to a click, although the session itself of course has a grid inherent.

I would like to take some of the midi data from this performance (the piano namely) and import it into a different section of the session that is lined up to a grid. The song forms are exactly the same, but I'm sure that the live version tempo varies and wanders as none of the performers were on a click.

So, how would I take this live MIDI piano, and redefine where the beats/ticks are, and move it into another section that's on a grid so everything lines up?

In other words, is the painstaking manual method of dragging each note and pedal CC the only way to do this?

Thanks

www.merlotembargo.com
Old 04-09-2018, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Moving MiDI from one grid to another (redefine where the beats are)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgross View Post
Hi all, have an interesting question about moving MIDI data from one section to another.

I have a session of a live performance of several instruments which was not played to a click, although the session itself of course has a grid inherent.

I would like to take some of the midi data from this performance (the piano namely) and import it into a different section of the session that is lined up to a grid. The song forms are exactly the same, but I'm sure that the live version tempo varies and wanders as none of the performers were on a click.

So, how would I take this live MIDI piano, and redefine where the beats/ticks are, and move it into another section that's on a grid so everything lines up?

In other words, is the painstaking manual method of dragging each note and pedal CC the only way to do this?

Thanks
my first thought is this (duplicate / SAVE what you have now - of course you already did this) ... Put the Midi Tracks that you wish to be conformed to the Grid into Samples Mode .. this way they will not be moved around by the Tempo you are trying to match this to .. then slide around your Midi Tracks and get them as close to lined up with New Tempo .. next place midi into Tick Mode and Quantize ..

now, this is very simple - and your situation might have some other things you need to do ..

just a few thoughts this going ....
lynx AES16e-SRC & Aurora 16
Artist Transport & iPad - Pro |Control - EuCon 3.7 (older Euphonix Branded MC Transport)
Old 04-09-2018, 02:22 PM

yeah that's about as close as I could get it I suppose. probably no way to avoid the manual editing unless i can come up with a way to redefine or edit the ticks/beats to match the performance and then just copy paste...

www.merlotembargo.com
Old 04-09-2018, 10:21 PM

You can use the TCE tool to adjust the performance roughly, then quantize. It's a quick way.

You can also:

- set MIDI tracks to sample-based time
- record a played/manual click to the piano performance
- use that click to generate a tempo map with Beat Detective
- quantize the piano to the tempo map
- set only the piano track back to tick-based time
- delete the tempo map you created with BD

You should now have a quantized piano over a static tempo.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:37 PM

Nice, Stig - will give that a whirl, that's kinda where my mind was going but I don't have enough experience to think of that!

www.merlotembargo.com