Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2019, 06:40 PM

Default PT stops playback/recording suddenly!?

Hi.

Sometimes PT stops to playback. It even happens after a session has been working fine and playback is just ok, but then when pressing play it won't do anything. No playback, no recording on a track, just "freeze".

This has not been a version problem. It happens in also sometimes with PT2019.4. There is nothing I can do to make it work. I can save the project and quit PT. And only after restarting my system completly - it works again as nothing has happened. I have tried to press F12 and other tips, but nothing. No waiting a note in midi.

What can cause this? Do I accidentally do something that freezes playback/recording?
lots of plugins
Old 06-14-2019, 06:57 PM

Default Re: PT stops playback/recording suddenly!?

Uh much more info expected: What computer are you on? Exact OS version? Since you are on a PC post a Sandra report. Start at "help us help you" link up the top of every DUC web page.

Since you are on a PC make sure there is no optical media in optical drives, and that if a floppy drive (yes even if you don't really have one) shows up in device manager then delete it. There are hundreds of posts on DUC about that issue--it causes hangs/pauses but not exactly what you are describing, but check anyway.

Once you post the Sandra report, tell us what partitions in the report contains the audio/sessions and which contain VI samples.

What exactly happens? When the "freeze" happens you can still use the menu to quit so what exaclty is frozen? What state is the transport in? Transport controls show it is playing but nothing is going on?? IOr you cant' get the transport play button to respond in any way? Are any buttons flashing/blinking? Try to describe even more what is happening.

Lots and lots of standard troubleshooting you could try....

trashing prefs
checking you system is fully optimized
Disconnect any control surfaces (including Avid Control/iPad)
Test with other sessions/starting with empty session (you may have a corrupted session).
Move all .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder, trash prefs and start Pro Tools
Create a new admin user and test from that account.

Look in the Windows Event Viewer for anything interesting looking at the times this happens. What is intersting looking errors or warning?... won't know until I see it.