Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2003, 02:55 PM

Default iMac G3 & mbox advice

Hello,

I've been lurking here a bit trying to learn from all of you (THANKS!!!) and I have a couple questions, need advice.

I have an iMac, G3, w/400mhz....

I currently have been using an Akai dps12 for my recording needs. I record there, mix down, put the song in my Mac and master in T-Racks, then off to burn yet again...

I have been told the the sound quality with the mbox will be better than what I now have by a good margin, but...

Will my iMac do the job worth it, or should I save and wait till I can get a newer Mac?

It looks like the only PTLE versions I can run would be with OS 9.2.2.... Though I saw someone's signature that looked like they were running PTLE/OSX with a G3/400.

The mbox I can budget right now, but I have to sell the Akai's ( I have 2)... So I want to get(or keep) whatever will give me the best tone quality for the money.

ANY and ALL advice would be most welcome!!

Many Thanks,

Lance
Old 04-20-2003, 06:49 PM

Default Re: iMac G3 & mbox advice

It definitely will work, but don't expect a lot of tracks, plug-ins, etc...

for the most part, be prepared to do a lot bouncing down....I've been able to get about 16-18 tracks with a fair amount of plug-ins....
Old 04-20-2003, 09:50 PM

Thanks!!

Would the number of tracks and plug-ins be helped by more memory, or is that more a processor function?

Will the sound quality going from my 16bit/48 Akai really be better? My main concern is quality of the sound, not so much effects, ease of editing, etc...
I will mainly be recording guitar and bass, then sequencing drums & other inst.

Sorry if my questions are dumb, I have almost no idea what computer recording is all about
( I'm not quite sure what a plug-in is)...
I have always used dedicated units like the Akai.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:20 PM

I run with the G3 IBook and a M Box and just this week now the 002. I have been very happy with my M Box. I have been able to edit up to the 24 tracks with enough plug ins to do the job. With the 002 I tried today loading up on tracks and plug ins. I had 28 tracks and I got up to about 15 plug ins before the CPU quit. So I think I will be OK for awhile until I can afford a G4... I have 256 ram but I understand that Plug Ins use the CPU to work in real time. But you can also get creative with bouncing and using Audiosuite stuff... Sweet right?
Good luck and have fun!
d-
Control 24 - (2)192's
Old 04-21-2003, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lance-a-not:

Would the number of tracks and plug-ins be helped by more memory, or is that more a processor function?

Will the sound quality going from my 16bit/48 Akai really be better? My main concern is quality of the sound, not so much effects, ease of editing, etc...
I will mainly be recording guitar and bass, then sequencing drums & other inst.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have the exact same computer (imac 400se DV) and an MBox...I have 384 MB ram...I wouldn't think of using anything less...

there are a number of advantages to using the MBox over the AKAI...you'll be recording in 24 bit, more flexibility over all, etc....

plug-ins are effects (reverb, compression, eq, etc, that are "plugged into" a channel insert)

the sound quality is really dependent on your engineering skills....I've heard some really good recordings with the Mbox with people who knew what they were doing...
Old 04-22-2003, 12:46 AM

I used to run on an iMac DV G3 400mhz. It's the mhz that make the difference, not the RAM, although more RAM never hurts. My iMac has 768 MB. I started with PTFree and then went to M-box. You will definitely have track count and especially plug-in restraints with this setup but it will work fine up to its limits, which will depend on what you are trying to do. Waves plug-ins are particularly cpu-hungry, although they sound great. At this point in time and being new to it you're probably better off in 9.2.2-it's stable and (mostly) bug free, and what the majority are still using. I currently run a G4 QS DP 1Gig. Like night and day with speed and restraints. But the G3 is a good little machine (mines still in service as the office computer) has Firewire inputs for your ext. drive(for your sessions-highly recommended) and will get you started. I know nothing about the Akai's but the M-box is acknowledged to have decent stock pre's(Focusrite) and you can add better outboards later.
Have fun.
80 G Seagate internal HD
60 G IBM Deskstar internal HD
40 G Buslink (Seagate)FW ext.HD
Old 04-22-2003, 04:47 AM

Thanks a lot everyone, I really appreciate the feedback!

I am think what I'll do is keep one Akai for the ability to record a full on drum set and mix, then do all the guitars and light effects in the PT/mbox world until I can upgrade to a new Mac..... Sounds like it would be the most cost effective way to get to the next stage.