Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 12-07-2009, 10:18 PM

Default mic pres

I'm going through my annual consideration of moving to PT HD (the prices are rather stimulating this season) I was wondering what everyone thought of the mic pres on the digi HD gear that they own

My question is focused on understanding if after updating/obtaining HD, if a mic pre purchase was common amongst the community here, and if so,

what are folks using and how do they feel about what they are using

thanks in adavnce for loaning your experiences!

Cheers
Filmusic
Old 12-08-2009, 12:43 AM

Default Re: mic pres

Hello Cheers

Honestly, I will say no one(speaking in general of course) really uses the digi pres @all beit LE or HD...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 12-08-2009, 05:56 AM

Remember that the 2 HD interfaces(96IO and 192IO) don't have any mic preamps, so you have to buy some.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-08-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Remember that the 2 HD interfaces(96IO and 192IO) don't have any mic preamps, so you have to buy some.
rite!!! how did I not say that; thatz why we can always count on Albee'sure

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 12-08-2009, 07:38 AM

no pres - now that's good to know (I'm learning here - thanks!)

the next part of the question is:

what mic pres are folks using and how do they feel about what they are using? I'm looking to understand what are some of the common pres folks are finding integrate well into an HD system (in order to fully understand the total costs involved in jumping up to HD)

Cheers
Filmusic
Old 12-08-2009, 08:00 AM

Yeah, the HD units depending on which u get will either have Line in/outs or Digital connectors or sort; there is a Digi 'HD' 8 channel Pre rack but thatz not an "interface" though...

As for what mic pres, thatz like asking what kind of car everyone who drives is driving (know what I mean?)

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 12-08-2009, 10:08 AM

There is a myth that the DIGI PRE is meant for ProTools only, but that is NOT true. There is also a myth that with the DIGI PRE you don't need an I/O, but that too is NOT true. I will say this..... The PRE is good, VERY good but few know this because of the first myth above. I remember first trying out a pre-production model some 6-7 years ago and was totally blown away by it----surprisingly. And I will say that if you're NOT a Pro Tools user, then using the PRE is rather cumbersome because of it's design. What looks like LED metering really isn't that at all but they are status indicators. Because you can only control one channel at a time AND there is no actual level metering across all (8) channels then it makes it a not so convenient mic-pre outside of Pro Tools where you have dedicated control. Well it is MIDI controllable so you can use MIDI CC information, but who would want to fully support that when companies like MOTU, Steinberg, etc want to keep you OUT of Pro Tools?

So for the PRE itself if you like clean gain and are a Pro Tools user, then this box is absolutely worth it. It's less money than a Precision8 and far less than a Grace801---but I think it compares favorably to both boxes. In terms of what other mic-pres to buy or consider-----well, how much time do you have on your hands? :)
Old 12-08-2009, 10:12 AM

will the digi pre 8 channel work with LE
Old 12-08-2009, 12:42 PM

seriously though - I just checked the manual and it said that the 'PRE' can be used for other software...so can a humble LE user take advantage of this box - the manual was silent on this point - does anyone know? I would love to find out. There are currently a few on ebay that are within my price range...I would love to move on them, provided they will work on LE

(if i can drag them up into my eventual HD purchase next year some time then I would be investing into something that I could take with me when I leave LE)
Old 12-08-2009, 01:16 PM

Hey Cheers, the short answer would be No; going thru the trouble of getting a Dsub to TRS for that to use with LE would be sort of pointless IMHO...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY