Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-19-2020, 03:55 PM

Default Upgraded to HDX from HD3-Issues

I haven’t been on the DUC in years. Was happily running PT10HD tdm rig with no issues. I recently upgraded to HDX and PT Ultimate 2020.9.1 and I’m having problems that I can’t figure out and I’ve called Avid multiple times but it hasn’t solved my issues. I’m trying to figure out if I have something set wrong somewhere or if these issues are bugs that people are experiencing on 2020.9.1. I have done all of the system optimization stuff and the system was a complete clean install.

So here is the first big problem.
If I have any plugin open and touch a fader using the mouse or one of my Artist Mix, the GUI of the plugin closes. It’s still on the channel but it simply closes. Impossible to mix that way. I can’t find anything in preferences that would change this. I’ve trashed prefs etc but no luck. I’ve noticed that sometimes it won’t do it if I grab a fader that isn’t in a group but 99% of the time the plugin closes regardless. I’m hoping that there is a pref somewhere that is new that I missed.
UPDATE: If I hold the “control” key down on the keyboard I can keep the plugin from going away. Could this be a Mac focus thing or something I’m not familiar with coming from an old OS?
UPDATE: Problem solved. In the new version of the EUCON software under General “close windows on workstations when exiting” was checked as a default. Uncheck and “feature” disabled.

2nd problem
After launching PT for the first time of the day and hitting play on any session, I get a 9093 error and it stops playback every single time. After that first one, everything seems fine.
I was getting a number of random 9093s but after disabling Avid Link at startup, the problems decreased dramatically. No clue why that worked. WiFi is not and wasn’t turned on.

3rd problem
When using Click II metronome, when hitting play or record, the very first click often flams badly. It will do this regardless of buffer settings or DC enabled or disabled. Why doesn’t PT have a dsp click?! Is it just me or is does that really suck? My tdm rig did.

Lots more but I’ll keep it to those 3 for this thread.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much

Last edited by crashboombam; 10-19-2020 at 08:36 PM. Reason: One problem solved
Old 10-19-2020, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Upgraded to HDX from HD3-Issues

In general listing a bunch of problem in one post where they are very different, and may need to be in different forum sections won't help you get the best help.

For issue #1. I suspect this is unlikely to be a Pro Tools issue by itself, I'd guess Eucon. Try uninstalling Eucon and see if it goes away. If it looks like Eucon then post in a relevant forum section. (EDIT: I see you fixed that, great).

For Issue #2

Start here:
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ve-errors-9071

Did you do a full clean macOS install or has this system been upgraded with in situ macOS upgrades? If macOS has been in situ upgraded then plan on doing a full clean install instead of beating your head against problems. Maybe get started now doing that on an APFS container if there is space on the boot drive.

What sample rate and IO buffer size are you running at?

What do your sessions look like... how large and how many HDX vs native plugin instances.

What make/model/spec drive(s) are you recording to? what is the disk cache size? are you letting the disk cache fully load (disk cache meter goes green) before using pro tools?... one of the possible causes of an initial CPU error. With an older Cheesegrater I especially want to see you are not on a slow HDD, which can trip up 9093 CPU errors... unfortunately so can other things... and there are multiple threads about HDX systems with 9093 errors you can look at on DUC.

When you say optimized... is *everything* done, WiFi disabled (you said yes...), bluetooth disabled, etc. get every last thing done.

Are all your plugins up to date/compatible? What happens when you remove all .aaxplugin files, and trash prefs, and test with the demo session? (Pro Tools will put back the standard plugins automagically).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-19-2020 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:00 PM

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

The system was a complete clean installation. All plugins are completely up to date. I believe I’ve done everything in the article you referenced before posting but could’ve missed something. I disabled Tailspind and Spindump as well. It didn’t help so I turned them back on.

The 9093 error happens when opening any session after launching PT for the first time after boot. It will happen with 1 audio track, no plugins, no VIs, Sample rate at 44.1 or 48 etc. bit depth 24. It’ll always play about a bar then stop. Once it happens, it’s usually ok. If I close the first session and open another without quitting PT, the second session or third etc. play fine and these could be large sessions. It doesn’t matter which HD I’m using. I’ve tried on my other 3 internal 7200 drives and off the firewire bus. I’ve also tried it on running off my sonnet usb 3.2, card using a Samsung NVME drive.

Buffer settings. I have tried them all and it still does it. Though, I will get more 9093 messages if the buffer is at 128 or lower even with 1 audio track and a avid 1 band eq dsp.

Disk Cache was at 10gb. Changed it to 8 then 4. Still does it. Avid suggested putting it at normal. Still does it.

Bluetooth and all that stuff is off. Like I said, the best thing I did that helped was turning off Avid Link on boot up. That cut the random errors by 70 percent.

I haven’t taken out every plug yet. I’ll give that a try.

I really appreciate your help!!
Old 10-20-2020, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashboombam View Post
When using Click II metronome, when hitting play or record, the very first click often flams badly. It will do this regardless of buffer settings or DC enabled or disabled.

I get this too (non-HD), randomly it seems. It annoyed me/clients so much that I started printing clicks and never looked back.

Last edited by AlexLakis; 10-20-2020 at 05:50 AM.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:53 AM

For #2

I would stop changing things around. Leave stuff set at sensible/very conservative values for now.

So disk cache set to be large enough to fully cache a session (not “normal”).

IO buffer size set at 1024.

Do all usual optimization (do everything you can and leave them all done for now, get *all* networking turned off)

Make sure there is no other unnecessary software running.

And in addition to usual optimizations also disable tailspind and spindump. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Errors-on-Mac
Old 10-20-2020, 03:51 PM

Thanks so much for the replies.

Good to know I’m not the only one with the flammed click. I usually print the click as well. Just annoying. I really wish there was a dsp click.

The only reason I changed the disk cache to normal was an email I received from Avid tech support telling me to. I originally had it set at 10gb. What do you guys set the Disk Cache to?

I’ll turn tailspind and Spindump back off to be safe. All networking stuff is off and Pro Tools is the only thing running on the machine other than EUCON. I’m not getting any spikes in PT or the Activity monitor. The computer seems to not be struggling at all even with big mixes. Occasionally, it’ll get jerky with graphics in Pro Tools but the system usage and activity monitor are showing zero issues.

Thanks to all that are posting!
Old 10-20-2020, 04:09 PM

I do not see a reason for ever running normal... that advice makes no sense. unless there is so little memory in the system you cannot set any useful cache size... not the case here. As I said before... you should confirm you’re session fully caches into whatever size cache you set it to... and wait to see the session fully loads... that’s the best way to help eliminate IO issues...and run on NVMe SSD will make those load times very fast. None of this should be a requirement, but when facing these sort of issues I would just want to crush every possible thing, be as conservative/paranoid as possible.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-20-2020 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:38 PM

Thanks Darryl. I hear you. I’ll run sessions off the NVME drives.

Still interesting that the 9093 will happen in a test with 1 audio track that is only 10 seconds long and no plugs. Again, this will only happen after PT is launched for the first time of the day. Weird.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashboombam View Post
Thanks Darryl. I hear you. I’ll run sessions off the NVME drives.

Still interesting that the 9093 will happen in a test with 1 audio track that is only 10 seconds long and no plugs. Again, this will only happen after PT is launched for the first time of the day. Weird.
That's not a totally unique problem, first start 9093 errors have been mentioned by others a few times on DUC. And not only because of sessions not fully cached... but it can be caused by that as well. And not all of those seem to have been understood, of if they were solved not all folks posted that info.

e.g. https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=364827
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404828

Any plugins you have installed even if not being used can mess with your system stability. Anything is a possibility.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
That's not a totally unique problem, first start 9093 errors have been mentioned by others a few times on DUC. And not only because of sessions not fully cached... but it can be caused by that as well. And not all of those seem to have been understood, of if they were solved not all folks posted that info.

e.g. https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=364827
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404828

Any plugins you have installed even if not being used can mess with your system stability. Anything is a possibility.
Thanks Darryl! I haven’t seen the first thread you referenced. I’ve got a couple of things to try. Avid is theoretically going to call me tomorrow and I’ll reference those threads. Thanks!!!