Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-18-2010, 08:46 AM

Default delay comp = red on aux

I'm using HD2 8.0.3 on 10.6.2, running IK Multimedia CSX verbs, and getting 16516 samples of delay being reported, in the red. How can I compensate for this? The verbs are RTAS without the option of being TDM.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:00 AM

Default Re: delay comp = red on aux

Hi and welcome to the duc (or aaf or whatever we're supposed to call it these days!!)

I assume you mean CSR? That doesn't sound right at all, I just inserted one on an aux in my session and got 1092, well within the limit. What sample rate/bit depth are you running at? What are your playback engine settings? What is the exact version number of the plugin you're using? What is the signal path to the aux?
Old 07-18-2010, 10:33 AM

Thanks, it is the CSR. Oddly, I just used it in another session that was getting 516 samples of delay.

I need to read up on how the engine allocates resources depending on when and how the plugs are inserted.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:36 AM

Check your HW buffer setting. I suppose you have 8192 samples.
If so, changing it to 512 or 256 samples, you should have 1024 or 512 (plus some samples for the plug)
Old 07-18-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strewnshank View Post
Thanks, it is the CSR. Oddly, I just used it in another session that was getting 516 samples of delay.

I need to read up on how the engine allocates resources depending on when and how the plugs are inserted.
Yes. ADC values can change dramatically depending on one’s mixer configuration (i.e where a plug-in gets inserted). Nested signal routings (such as sub groups feeding Auxes) will quickly accumulate high delay values because each signal chain’s plug-in will have to be accounted for.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 07-19-2010, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the info. Yes, my engine was set to maximum, however, in another session, identical settings, the latency was quite within the realm of compensation, the difference being the amount of plugins used on audio tracks. Am I to understand that inserting RTAS on Aux tracks being fed by busses should be set up first, then inserts on individual tracks?
Old 07-19-2010, 11:34 AM

First of all, there is no reason for setting a HW buffer higher than 512 samples unless you are using something like an old G3. Apart from that, when you are in the aux and master channels you already are in the TDM environment, therefore if you insert a plugin that is processed by the CPU the signal has to travel from the TDM to the CPU and back. This causes the streaming latency that depends on how big is the buffer x2. In case you use an RTAS plug in audio/instrum tracks before any TDM plugin there is no TDM>CPU>TDM streaming, then you will have the plugin latency only, regardless of how is set the buffer
Old 07-19-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innesireinar View Post
First of all, there is no reason for setting a HW buffer higher than 512 samples unless you are using something like an old G3.
I find myself in scenarios quite often where I have to go higher than 512 samples. This is when I am using lot of instances of Eleven and most of them are RTAS. Since it takes a whole chip for one instance of Eleven, I can't afford to put Eleven on more than 2 chips on my HD2 system. Eleven as an RTAS instrument eats CPU's for breakfast. Seriously, If I loaded a new session with just 10 Eleven's as RTAS, I bet I wouldn't be able to play back until I was at 1024 samples. Then again, my intel mac is 3 years old.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 07-19-2010, 09:26 PM

May I suggest that you re-amp to some real guitar amps, instead of using Eleven, to remind yourself of how much better that sounds than this quite lacking in in your face guitar sound plugin sounds. That'll free up a whole bunch of hardware buffer rescources.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:34 AM

Well, and don't forget that I could also print Audio Suite if I needed to. But my point is that it is very possible to run out of resources with some plug-ins requiring to go to higher buffer sizes on intel macs. In my example, I'm not necessarily saying I'm not using real guitar amps too, but Eleven is a big CPU hog and many virtual instruments/Plug-ins that I use are big CPU hogs too. I'll often blend a mic'd guitar amp with Eleven if I feel it is lacking something that Eleven can add. I obviously don't hate Eleven as much as you do. Sometimes I find it is just what I need.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio