Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2017, 02:32 PM

Default Im Guessing It’s Ryzen - Playback Issues

Just wanted to preface this with saying I’ve never had this problem on my Intel 4770K rig. My new PC is a Ryzen 1700 OCd to 3.8 system with the same gen 1 18i8 I’ve been using since I started 3-4 years ago. I’m on Windows 10 Pro using the ASIO4All driver.

So the issue is sped up playback. BPM is 134 on the specific session (20 tracks, an imported mp3 from 44.1 to 44.1, like 10 plugins), but it’s playing back at about 160, and recorded clips are playing at that speed and subsequent higher pitch.

Other projects I open are randomly okay or the same. Sometimes I open it and it’s fine. The first time it fixed itself an alert for CPU usage popped up (usage was at 12%). Couldn’t reproduce the fix as it was out of my control. Second time I fixed it by restarting my interface. Couldn’t repeat the fix. The second time it went from being fine to broken after the CPU message again. Third time I fixed it by Raising the ASIO buffer to 1024 from 512. Couldn’t repeat the results by Raising it again. Honestly it should be fine at 512 or lower.

Also want to say that it has nothing to do with sample rate issues, or at least on the surface. Everything I’ve ever done is 44.1/24-bit, and all devices are the same.

I tried resetting, reinstalling all drivers and devices. Pro Tools, even. Tried it without background programs, and even without the OC. Other than this problem, my new PC is running the best I’ve ever had. Games are fine, Adobe Suite is fine. Overall the system is a huge upgrade, especially with the OC. My storage is dedicated so I’m hoping it’s not that.

What’s making me think it’s The CPU is the error message. It’s what activated it the first time, and is linked with at least one subsequent instance.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 11-21-2017, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Im Guessing It’s Ryzen - Playback Issues

2 thoughts come to my mind:
1-why use ASIO4ALL when Focusrite makes drivers?
2-Is Windows trying to use the Focusrite as the default playback device(in Sound Properties)? If yes, change that so windows uses the on-board sound card

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-21-2017, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the reply!

1. Well that was a huge issue when I first got my interface. Scarlet drivers and Pro Tools just don’t mix. I couldn’t do anything and Pro Tools wouldn’t even open. ASIO has been perfectly fine until now.

2. Nope, everything is good there.

Last edited by justindk; 11-21-2017 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Changed MixControl to Scarlet Drivers
Old 11-22-2017, 11:06 AM

Scarlett is a big mess you are right.

I was going to get one of these as a ADAT input with 8pre's sounds nice right...the price was basically giving it away....but I heard they have issues with PT.

Focusrite and the Saffire drivers are what made me go Mac almost 10 years ago....I didn't want anymore issues, now that I am back on windows.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:39 PM

Arguably the best drivers are from RME, rock solid.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-22-2017, 06:15 PM

Focusrite drivers have been rock-solid for me.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 11-22-2017, 07:27 PM

There were some bugs early on with the Focusrite Scarlett. BUt I haven't had any problems in several years.

ASIO 4 All, on the other hand was a giant steaming pile of *&%$. It took over my whole system like a virus and wouldn't let any audio applications work properly.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 11-23-2017, 02:16 AM

Tried using the Focusrite drivers again. Tried 8 times to get into Pro Tools, got in once. Headphones were buzzing very loudly, playback was full of noise. I messed with buffer sizes in MixControl, nothing. I also tried uninstalling MixControl, the Focusrite driver, reinstalling them, reinstalling ASIO, and every combination of installed/uninstalled I could think of.

Anyway, the only thing that seems to work 100% of the time is first disabling the interface in sound properties, powering the interface off for at least 10ish seconds (tried ~5 seconds and lower and it didn't work), powering back on, enabling interface in sound properties. Playback goes back to normal speed.

Problem is, it happens randomly and way too frequent for me to be satisfied with the solution. I seriously can't think of anything. Also wouldn't be too big a deal if it didn't happen during recording. It happened in the middle of a bass session earlier when I was trying to figure out the bass line (don't play bass, just got one today and was replacing the sampled line) and I didn't even notice it because it sped up/changed pitch a negligent amount. Didn't notice until it randomly fixed itself and I recorded half the song in a different key.

It could be the OS, the CPU, the interface, my drivers, ASIO, or any combination of them or more. The problem carrying over to a Pro Tools restart is random, so I don't know what it could possibly be.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:06 AM

Default Im Guessing It’s Ryzen - Playback Issues

I would guess it’s related to your interface and focus software instead of AMD CPU.

I would try to borrow another one from a friend and see if that fixes the problem

Even order one from Sweetwater and then return it, if you don’t need it. (I would stay away from the cheapest Focusrite interfaces)

You can always get a used 003 (which are fun) or another Avid interface PT runs good with its own hardware (usually)
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:01 PM

Soooo, I went through a whole lot but I think I just needed to change one thing.

I updated my firmware, mixcontrol, and driver to beta versions with supposed pro Tools/Scarlett fixes. I actually had to mix and match because firmware wouldn’t update and I was stuck with no interface for a bit. So my mixcontrol is a little older than the other two. Worked just the same as ASIO, but instead of the playback speed, it was just noisy and glitchy after a certain period of time. Just as unusable.

This also came with a glitch where I couldn’t it from 48k (locked) down to 44.1, so my projects wouldn’t open. Finally lucked out and it went down to 44.1 after a weird combination of changing settings in different places.

What I think fixed it, was disabling C-States. I forgot I even enabled it. It hasn’t messed up in hours, and Pro Tools is just as snappy as before on my old build. Must’ve been the CPU doing weird throttling stuff.

Had to use ASIO again once I got the interface itself set at my sample rate. It’s actually stuck at 44.1 now but I’m good with that. It’s not an elegant fix but it works for me. Nothing else that I do had this problem so it’s not going to affect anything else.

We’ll see how well it holds up, but it seems really good for now. Voltage is just a tad higher but the temp changes are negligible.

Thank you for the suggestions, I’ll update if something changes.