Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2008, 02:31 PM

Default External Hard Drive Enclosure

I bought a Western Digital 320GB, 7200 RPM IDE-ATA drive that I was going to use to replace my current internal system drive that is running out of space (it currently has 6.3GB remaining out of 20GB left). Even after installing an application to make sure the computer would recognize that size of drive (without the app it only recognizes up to 128GB) and installing the OS on it it wouldn't boot as my startup disk. I took my current audio drive (250GB internal ATA) out and put the 320GB in and it worked perfectly as a storage device, but still wouldn't boot so I know at least the drive is good. Anyway, now I have a 320GB drive that I can't do anything with and need to know it this enclosure may work since I have an AGP Graphics G4 that only has Firewire 400:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer...logy/FWU2MSV2/

The second question is will I be able to install a fresh copy of the MAC OS(the one I put on it initially was a Carbon Clone) and use that as my boot drive?

I could use the 320GB strictly as a storage drive, I have enough stuff, but ideally I'd like to be able to use it as my startup drive and take some stress off the one that only has 6GB remaining. Just trying to confirm that one of these enclosures will work properly.

Also has anyone every come up with an app or a system to deleting all the unused apps and files on your MAC? I've already deleted Chess, Garageband and all the other obviously useless apps, but there seems to be so many font files and things of that nature taking up needed space and since so many MAC apps and plugins want to be at least partially installed on the system drive exclusively any space I can free up is a blessing. Any advice on all fronts would be appreciated, but especially the external hard drive enclosure. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:54 PM

Default Re: External Hard Drive Enclosure

Oxford 911 chipset on the external firewire drive?- check
External Hard Drive as the boot drive? - check
Getting rid of unwanted applications on your mac? - check - appzapper