Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2013, 07:59 PM

Default Please Help!

I am new to Pro Tools so this is probably a very dumb question. I recently installed pro tools 10 plus Avid virtual instruments. I am using an Axiom Pro 49 MIDI and Mbox pro 3 interface. When i create a new midi track i am able to see a signal response from pro tools when i hit the keys on my midi but there is no playback. I can even record but there is no audio on playback. I tried setting different outputs to pretty much everything that was listed. It can see my mbox pro 3 just fine but nothing seems to be getting to my speakers. Can someone PLEEEEASE help me set this up. I've been fiddling with this for 3 days. I am very new at this. I also tried adding an instrument track but the "Plug-ins" is not available under the input selector. I'm not sure how all of this works quite yet. Does my midi have instrument sounds built in? Does pro tools have instrument plug ins? Or is all of my instruments going to come from the Avid Virtual Instrument file i installed? Do i have to save that in a particular file? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:32 PM

Default Re: Please Help!

You have to have a synth or similar virtual instrument plugin inserted on that instrument track. This is all too much to deal with here, but there are *lots* of online tutorials, videos etc. like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji3C__hf0qY. Also the main reference guide has lots of information in it, even if its spread out, but worth opening and looking through.

If no plugins show up under the instrument track insert pulldowns in the mix window then you have a install problem, or are very confused about what you are clicking on.

If things still don't work for you, describe exactly what you are doing, and where things diverge from what you expect should happen. To start with try to reproduce exactly what is being done in the video tutorial I link to above.

Does the Mbox work as you expect for standard audio tracks? Can you create a stereo audio track in a session and drag any old mp3 onto that track and play it? Do you hear what you expect?

Darryl
Old 02-20-2013, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Please Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You have to have a synth or similar virtual instrument plugin inserted on that instrument track. This is all too much to deal with here, but there are *lots* of online tutorials, videos etc. like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji3C__hf0qY. Also the main reference guide has lots of information in it, even if its spread out, but worth opening and looking through.

If no plugins show up under the instrument track insert pulldowns in the mix window then you have a install problem, or are very confused about what you are clicking on.

If things still don't work for you, describe exactly what you are doing, and where things diverge from what you expect should happen. To start with try to reproduce exactly what is being done in the video tutorial I link to above.

Does the Mbox work as you expect for standard audio tracks? Can you create a stereo audio track in a session and drag any old mp3 onto that track and play it? Do you hear what you expect?

Darryl

Thanks Darryl!!!!!! I was trying to change the input on my instrument track under I/O instead of using the mixing window..... embarrassing. Again, i'm just starting out. Thank you SOOOOO much for your help. Im so excited to learn more. You really helped a lot. Thank you sir.