Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2010, 02:21 PM

Default 96 I/O analog left main output random static

This problem hasn't affected recording in any way, but one of the analog outputs I use to feed my monitor management system occasionally emits static. The noise is similar to what you might hear if you had a noisy output that might be fixed with contact spray. I know it is a physical problem with the 96 I/O (I switched cables along the chain from left to right, but the problem stays with the same output).
I've never opened the interface before. Any suggestions as to what a fix might be, or if I should even try it myself? I'm fairly handy with repairing electronics, etc., but I'd rather not screw it up since my recording sessions are largely unaffected. For that reason, I have never actually tried contact spray even though I've been tempted. I bought my HD2 system (Mac) in 2002, but it's never been moved since installation.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 04-10-2010, 02:59 PM

Default Re: 96 I/O analog left main output random static

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsprunner View Post
This problem hasn't affected recording in any way, but one of the analog outputs I use to feed my monitor management system occasionally emits static. The noise is similar to what you might hear if you had a noisy output that might be fixed with contact spray. I know it is a physical problem with the 96 I/O (I switched cables along the chain from left to right, but the problem stays with the same output).
I've never opened the interface before. Any suggestions as to what a fix might be, or if I should even try it myself? I'm fairly handy with repairing electronics, etc., but I'd rather not screw it up since my recording sessions are largely unaffected. For that reason, I have never actually tried contact spray even though I've been tempted. I bought my HD2 system (Mac) in 2002, but it's never been moved since installation.
Thanks,
Jeff
Hi Jeff, Are you sure it's not anything further down the line in the signal chain, like perhaps your monitoring system/amps/powered speakers/controller/console? If you haven't yet, you might want to keep troubleshooting down the line.

Does the noise show up on the meters in PT?
Old 04-10-2010, 04:00 PM

hi
it only comes through your monitoring? but not the recording? one channel or both? random.. so sometimes its fine?
i used to get that on monitoring only and this was freaky. it was always when the ground was wet outside. im in a comm bldg that uses the conduit as the ground (no 3rd wire) i would only get a light 60hz buzz when a refrigerator was running/cycling at the other side of the building, then occ it would stop. i heard it only through monitoring. i drove ground spikes through the concrete floor(eight footers), ran them to my elect box, one to the chassis of my equipt, star grounding.. its pretty cheap to do, under $50.00. it went away. ive always used good to great power conditioners but those did not seem to be enough. seems when ever there is a marriage between ac/dc a lot of issues can be led back to grounding issues, at least what i have found. good luck k
Old 04-18-2010, 03:55 PM

Thanks for checking in, guys. I thought I would get emails notifying me of any replies, but I didn't get anything, so sorry for the delay in responding.
@Third Eye: Yes, I've swapped and disconnected cables, switched them from right to left, etc., and I feel confident that the static is coming from a single 96 I/O output.
@Backbone: The noise does not show up in the recording, so I'm certain that it's not a software/computer issue. In fact, many times I turn everything on BUT the computer just to play or practice on my Kurzweil PC88.
I have everything routed through a Samson C-control (I know - cheap component) with the 96 I/O coming into the Main Mix stereo input. With the computer off, I listen through 2TK "A" with the PC88 directly connected. If I mute the Main Mix or turn off the 96, the left-side-only static disappears from all headphones and speakers. I have switched inputs and cables for the 96, but the static from the left remains consistent.
Oh well, if nobody has ever tried contact spray, I'll hold off for now. Thanks for your suggestions.
Jeff
Texas