How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Re: running pro tools tracks through a reel to reel

Quote:
To truly do what you want to do you need to have a better machine than a TEAC consumer deck. You need the ability to switch heads you are listening to etc....

Look at OTARI, MCI, STUDER, SONY, ETc...
Absolutely, like that 5050 Otari I was telling you about that's taking up space! It's actually a FOUR head machine (one of them is for quarter track tapes) instead of the usual three. Interested? I'll make you a killer deal.....
Old 08-07-2015, 02:20 AM

I'm at the moment recording with my band in an analogue studio, got the tape fever and went looking everywhere for an old taper recorder, found a Sony TC-366(2 track, because the other two are not accessible at the same time, those are at side 2 of the tape) lying on the basement of a record shop, got it for 10e(7dollas or something like that), cleaned it up a bit, adjust some things, bought some (new)tape for 20e(14 dollars, RMG still makes it and many more) and began experimenting, in the meantime been looking for another options.
My conclusions:
- A two track is nice to experiment, to record one track songs. You cannot record two tracks because the distance between the eraser head and the plaback head delivers latency when you record, it records first and then plays, although I believe there are some advanced 2 tracks than have a record/playback head, like the teac tascam 32-2b, but I'm not sure. You cannot lay tracks, then bounce them in pro tools and then synchronize them so easily, if only with expensive gear, that's what I know so far. I love the sound on the tape, a matter of taste, but it sounds real, digital is handy but I just don't care for digital, it sounds unreal. If you buy it in a yard sale check it out on the spot if they have tapes, or get yourself some used tapes.
- If you would like do have a more serious machine I'd recommend a 4 o 8 track, there are, at least here in Europe, proffesionals who sell/repair/adjust them, it's not cheap but you'll get a warranty on your purchase, otherwise, to repair a yardsale 4 track could probably cost you much more at the end, parts are expensive and not easy to replace. You're looking at around 1000e for a 4 track(700dollars). You could then record 3 tracks, then mix them down on the 4th and you'll have the three tracks empty to record more and so forth, without bouncing them in the computer(no sync issues), at the end you can bounce everything and add some effect or eq and also master the result on Pro tools.
I'd use it for home, because, in my opinion, music should be recorded at a studio with proffesionals, but to practice, to get a grip of how you'd like to sound on a record is a good thing to have this recording gear at home.

Greetings and good luck
Old 08-07-2015, 08:51 AM

For what it's worth.....
noticed that this thread began in around 2007.
Tape decks are cool.
I still use a cheese tape deck as a delay unit in PT.
Having said that, the "cheese" setting in EchoBoy works a lot better.

We spent a long time experimenting with tape decks over the years...First, having come up working on them, then, when they started showing up for cheap/free after digital took over.
Recently, a friend found a 3M 16 track in nice shape at someone's curb next to an old washing machine.

In my experimentation, using a lot of really high end and really low end tape machines, the best results were achieved tracking directly to tape and then transferring to digital.
I could never get great or even good results running a digital track to tape. It basically still sounded the same after a lot of hard work.

Boy.....
Some of the emulations from folks like CraneSong and Slate are pretty great once you learn how to use them sparingly.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:39 PM

Much as I love analog, and the sound of a great tape machine/tape combo, there are several ways to impart "analog goodness" inside the box. Can anyone name any hit that was a hit BECAUSE it was recorded on, or thru tape? Give me a decent recording of a great song and performance, and I am a happy listener. Give me a perfect recording of crap and its still crap. Its much the same as folks that want to deal with the issues of hardware inserts for mixing, but their hardware is some DBX and Alesis compressor or a Lexicon MX200 reverb. Can it be done? Absolutely. Will it make the difference between a hit and a flop? Doubtful In the end, its not about WHAT was used in the recording. Its HOW it was used(as in how skillfully, creative, transparently.....)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-10-2015, 09:39 AM

To answer a question posted - audio tape
https://atrtape.com

I have a full-track tube (351), half-track, four-track (440B) and 16-track (MM1100), all AMPEX.

Tapes sounds different than a plug-in.

If you want to buy a deck, the most important thing is the condition of the heads. If the heads are worn, the deck is not worth much since new heads can cost much money. Mechanical parts can be repaired but heads wear out.

John knows all about heads:

http://www.jrfmagnetics.com/index.ht...ortronics.html
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:56 AM

These days I equate owning a multi-track tape machine to owning a boat.
You know what the 2 happiest days are for a boat owner, the day you buy it and the day you sell it. In-between it's just a lot of maintenance cost.
A 2 track for final output is a different story. It still has the cost but the mix is what matters in the end.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig