Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-25-2003, 06:11 AM

Default questions about building the Allenstein machine!

This month makes it one year for me on the DUC!!
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

This weekend I am taking the plunge and buying the Allen recommended A7V333-X mobo and AMD XP2800 processor along with either a rackmount case or that cool stainless steel looking tower.
My plan is to simply remove the drives from my existing 1ghz T-bird (which will be for sale soon!) and installing them with the new board/cpu. I have only done this once and it wasnt with my precious pro-tools computer, and it seems that I ran into a few snags along the way that time. I neeeed to be careful!

Now installing a new mobo is pretty much like installing a new piece of hardware, just a little more detailed and I dont want to screw anything up.

I AM very excited about this!!

1 - Can you guys offer me some hints and advice for safe installation?
2 - That makes me nervous about installing the volcano fan... is this really going to make a difference? Are there alternatives to processor cooling fans?
Thanks as usual for your help [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2003, 08:21 AM

Default Re: questions about building the Allenstein machine!

Volcano 9 Cool Mod was a bad name if you ask me. I set mine up to run on low manual setting, 17db noise and it keeps my XP2100+ cooled even when I OC it to 2.08Ghz. The other choice is the Zalman 5100 which runs around 20db at med. settings so it runs quieter at higher fan speeds. Looks easier to install too and about half the price of the Volcano 9. I don't think that it is as efficient at cooling as the Volcano 9 though.

For transfering your hard drives, I'd recommend a full reformat and install of WinXP on the system drive. The audio drive should be fine as it is.
Let us know how it goes.
Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2003, 08:38 AM

One more question -
I just did totally reformat my system drive and barely any work done to it. Do you think I really need to do it again before installing the new mobo?
Old 03-25-2003, 08:38 AM

The other thing I wanted to mention is that I talked to www.unitedmicro.com about the recommended system and they carry all the parts with the exception of the Volcano 9. I told them to substitute the Zalman in its place for noise control. I've sent them the recommended list and they will assemble it, test it, ship it to you ready to go with a 3 year warranty. The cost is a little over 100.00 more than putting it together yourself plus shipping. They have some great rackmount cases to select from and the Enermax FMA PSU I recommend. Just another idea. If you go this route ask for Andrew at ext. 206 and tell him you are building the computer I recommended.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by silence_of_stone:
One more question -
I just did totally reformat my system drive and barely any work done to it. Do you think I really need to do it again before installing the new mobo?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Definitely. You want a totally clean install on this new motherboard. When WinXP is installed just do it then.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:46 AM

thanks for the help Allen. You are a wonderful help to so many of us! I truly appreciate your presence on this forum! Thanks!!!