How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2009, 05:01 PM

Default Recorded Midi at wrong tempo?

Hey guys,

So I'm completely new to midi. I've recently purchased some sample libraries and have been playing around with them by importing midi files and using them to trigger my samples.

I imported a midi song that must have been recorded at a completely different tempo and time signature than what the file says. I'm trying to get the song to line up to my tempo and time signature but I can't figure out how to adjust the tempo of my session without changing the tempo of my midi files.

This might be something really easy but I'm so new to midi I just can't seem to get it figured out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Recorded Midi at wrong tempo?

Does the Time Signature of the MIDI file match that of the sessions meter?

filosofem
Old 12-21-2009, 08:36 PM

Change the MIDI Track to sample based instead of tick based.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 12-21-2009, 08:55 PM

Yes Rail but won't work if the SMF is 5/4.

filosofem
Old 12-22-2009, 08:09 PM

Ahh that was it. Thanks a ton guys.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:38 AM

I did that and when I drag in midi fills from EZdrummer to a midi track, the fills are still not matching up to the protools tempo.. they only play at EZ's existing tempo.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:18 PM

I do this all the time. Remember that when you import the midi file, you can select to also import the tempo and key signature info. When you select "import Midi file" from the file menu, the "Midi input options" screen pops up. There you can select to keep the midi tempo map.

That should solve the issue.

Once you have it in your session that way, then any edits will start from that point.

I've not run into any issues doing it this way.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:51 AM

Hi Donald are you talking to me or the OP..? What I'm trying to do, is the opposite of what the OP wanted- I want to KEEP my protools tempo the same and have my midi fill from EZ adjust to my session tempo, not the other way around. I tried what you said with both keeping the tempo map and not keeping it and the result is that the midi file still keeps its own tempo, not adjusting to my session. This method also seems difficult because it forces me to import the file to either a new track or region list, when I just want to import the fill to an existing midi track. EZ drummer has an easy drag and drop method but so far that still isnt matching up the fill tempo to my session's... this has to be possible! I just must be missing something.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:18 AM

never mind.. its working! for whatever reason, now when I solo the fills in EZ they play in my session tempo and I can drag them in and they are matching the session tempo. Also its working to import files like you mentioned, as long I dont select to keep the tempo map. I imported to region list so don't have to make a new track every time. Drag and drop is working though... Ive been trying to figure this out for a while. Thanks for helping me solve this, I honestly have no clue why it started working tho..!
Old 01-06-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by up4days View Post
never mind.. its working! for whatever reason, now when I solo the fills in EZ they play in my session tempo and I can drag them in and they are matching the session tempo. Also its working to import files like you mentioned, as long I dont select to keep the tempo map. I imported to region list so don't have to make a new track every time. Drag and drop is working though... Ive been trying to figure this out for a while. Thanks for helping me solve this, I honestly have no clue why it started working tho..!
Glad its working for you. I've never run across an instance where I opted to NOT keep the MIDI file tempo map and it was still preserved anyway. IIRC, anytime I did that, they always played back at my session tempo, So, not sure what you did, but as long as you're working...good!