Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2011, 11:09 AM

Default Re: M-Powered Pro Tools 9

I think one key difference is that the full PT9 is finally free from the hardware dependency. Still needs the iLok, but you can run it, say on a laptop without having to carry around the interface. PT9 is also supposed to work with other hardware, as long as it's got an ASIO driver.

PT-MP9 will probably still be chained to an M-Audio device. If you don't use it on the go, then it might not be an issue. But if you want to do some editing or review, say on the bus or train, or to demo a project for somebody across town, then you need to carry and plug in an M-Audio interface, which will drain the laptop battery a little faster even if it's not in use.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:55 PM

Ok, So I get my email from Avid with the link to upgrade from MP8 to 9, so I upload the MP9 upgrade to MP8, following the instructions carefully. I go to the iLok website, "register" my MP9 key to my physical iLok usb thing, and now when I launch MP9, I get a message that says

"Error, missing ilok authorization for "ProTools MP 9". Please insert the necessary iLok to continue."

Sigh...

So, I reboot, go back to the iLok website...yes, MP9 is authorized...I think, but I keep getting the same message.

Any clues my friends? I'm not very techy when it comes to this stuff.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:48 AM

maybe you need to update the ilok driver on your computer?
please post the outcome, didn't update yet myself but
was thinking to update in the next days or week...
Old 05-20-2011, 01:14 PM

I think they came out with this because there are a number of us who haven't updated to 9. I'm still running XP so this isn't going to happen even with M-Powered, but I wanted something with some more flexibility to load up with VIs so I crossgraded to Studio One Pro. I'm dreading updating the DAW PC to Win 7 (full reinstall of everything that's on that machine). I've got 7 on this PC and I'm not that impressed with it. It's slower than XP because it's been dumbed down trying to be more like a Mac.

Mainboard: DFI Inc. INF P35-R
BIOS : Phx Tech, LTD 6.00 PG 03/11/2008
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP APIC : Y
Tot Mem : 3.25GB DIMM DDR2 (WinXP)

Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 Proc
Front Side Bus Spd : 4x 266MHz
Mem Bus Spd : 2x 399MHz

(C:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
(D:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
Old 05-20-2011, 03:53 PM

Well, I re-installed the iLok software driver and software...no luck. iLok account shows I have 1 MP9 license expiring never. I re-synced it several times, disabled my firewall, my internet anti virus, did it again and again, nothing worked.

I have searched this and the regular ProTools forums, the knowledge base, and the form that comes up when you submit a case, nothing. So, I submitted a case (I have 10, er 9 now, until June 8th). I hope something works, as I can't even start the program now, and I've already wasted hours trying to fix something as simple as a software upgrade

Is this kinda stuff fairly common with ProTools?
Old 05-21-2011, 12:16 PM

@agfrag

check this post:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=290425

maybe you still need to download the license to your ilok?
then you should see "You have new licenses available" at the top of the page and download these to your ilok...
Old 05-21-2011, 06:02 PM

Yes, I tried that jazztronauts, it indicates I have the license for MP 9, and I have updated it several times, no luck. I got that "You have new licenses available" message the first time I went to iLok.com after I downloaded the MP 9 update (7 hours on a cable modem! Whew!), after I clicked the "Update" button, it went away. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Boy, sure seems to be a lot of this issue happening with the 9 versions lately per some of the searches I've done.

Gosh I miss my ProTools...sniff...especially the projects I've got unfinished on it, Already had to cancel one client's demo project...they were verrrry pissed.

Luckily this isn't my main income! Beginning to wonder if switching from Cubase was such a good idea after all.

Maybe I need to open a new thread with a Sandra report, the Avid admin's seem to answer those.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:39 AM

agfrag,

check this post http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=295869 and try all suggestions, especially

-computer and usb power managment (see post 2)
-update win7 to SP1

it seems that if you're using ilok v2 it also might be a conflict with your network card (are you using a new v2 ilok or the original red one which came with M-Powered 8?)...

hope you find the solution!

btw; any other users on this forum who have updated to MP9 without these problems?
Old 05-22-2011, 01:37 PM

Thanks jazztronauts, I did find that link. I had already done all the Avid optimization items, and the tips from the thread you mentioned, none of it worked.

I have no way of knowing if my network card is interfering, It's a wifi card...but it worked fine before, don't know why it doesn't work now. I've got the blue usb iLok, is that gen 2? If I disable my network card somehow, how will the iLok work anymore? Doesn't iLok check the online iLok account every time I start MP?
Old 05-22-2011, 02:53 PM

agfrag,

The blue ilok http://archive.digidesign.com/support/ilok/ is the first generation.
Once the license is downloaded to your ilok you don't need connection to internet to run your ilok protected software because the software is only checking your ilok dongle for the authorizations.
I even don't have internet on my main daw computer...

a few more things to check:

-is your computer set to the right date (check it if it's really set to the exact date of today)?
-did you have trashed your PT preferences before reinstalling PT and the ilok software?
-do you have any services disabled in windows which might be essential?

running out of ideas if nothing of above won't help.
after reading several post it seems there are a lot of people suffering with this problem so I'm being a little bit afraid to do the update myself...

keep me updated!

j.