Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 09:25 AM

Default warning - G5 hardware failure - READ THIS!

Digi Tech Support and many DUC readers may be following my attempts to get my rig working as it should...

Long story.... but finally ran Apple Hardware Test (AHT) for my G5 on Sunday... it reported back a hardware error -- related to the heatsink.

I decided to take the unit to the Apple Store here in NYC. My genius said they'd run full testing...

Last night, a tech called me: "we can't find anything wrong with your machine. the reason it gave the heatsink error is that your cards were probably hot"... -- I didn't buy it, since the failures that i had were only during processor intensive tasks. The tech agreed to run a "stress test" -- basically, they boot from THEIR drive and force the machine to perform to its max. Takes about 3 hours.

Sure enough, it died. They are replacing my logicboard and processors.

I'm posting this so that others may consider running AHT and/or getting a stress test done. This may uncover hardware problems unrelated to Digi software or your config.

Let's hope my repaired unit performs as it should.

jr
Old 06-28-2005, 09:33 AM

Default Re: warning - G5 hardware failure - READ THIS!

Which G5 were you using?

HDX Pro Tools 2023.6
Lynx Aurora (n) 32
2 Avid S1's
Old 06-28-2005, 10:20 AM

G5 2.5 DP (liquid cooled)
Old 06-28-2005, 09:20 PM

[QUOTE]
Digi Tech Support and many DUC readers may be following my attempts to get my rig working as it should...

edge of my seat, pal..

sarcasm aside..I had issue with G52.5. Ran hardware test:bad processor. Had repaired, 1 week or so later same thing happened again. A week after that went thru logic board #2..a week after that logic board #3... then hard drive failed on bench..all this over 6 week period of bitching to Apple Customer Relations. Apple only agreed to replace computer after a SUBSTANTIAL HISTORY had been presented.

Strap in

(ps, I got a free mini iPod during all this..yippee)
Old 06-29-2005, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Strap in
LOL!

Thanks for the support and encouragement. My machine is ready for pickup. Let's see if the new logicboard helps. I have made friends with some the staff at the Apple Store/SOHO and if I have to return, at least I have someone to call. I hope.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:13 AM

i hope everyone thinks to get the or at least consider apple protection plan

even thought you have to go to new delhi for common problems on the phone with tech support. If a firewire hot 911 blows out your FWports or the mother board or any other hardware...they will come to your computer and fix it on the spot.....this is where apples is VERY honorable in my experience.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:24 PM

well damn... turns out it was more than my G5 -- I spent considerable time on the phone with Digi tech support today (THANK YOU!!!!!!), and we think one of my HD cards may be causing trouble. Of course, I'm out of warranty on the HD card. $475 + tax for an advance replacement.

Speaking of AppleCare (I agree, a great value) - would anyone place value on a similar program at Digidesign - maybe they should call it, "DigiCare" -- an extended warranty program similar to AppleCare? After what I went through today, if Digidesign were to offer a pre-paid extended warranty, I would jump on it if it were priced competitively. Just a thought.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:45 PM

Or how about since an HD Accel card cost about $5k, they guarantee it will work for 3 years. Seems fair to me.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:04 PM

Street price, about half that. If your dealer charges more, call me, my dealer is fair.

And i think a 1 year warranty is fairly standard in the biz... I would like to see software support extend for every paid upgrade... and an option to buy software support past 1 year.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:07 AM

Quote:
...my G5 on Sunday... it reported back a hardware error -- related to the heatsink...
jr
If it was my computer, i'd assume that despite being liquid cooled, it runs too hot when filled with Digi cards, or maybe any chip-laden PCI card. I'd have a hard time trusting the machine even when everything is replaced.

Maybe look into more or better fans, or if you can, place the G5 in an air-conditioned machine room.