Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2005, 07:38 AM

Default Re: Soft Synths-PT or Dedicated PC

Quote:
the only problem is that you get your mouses mixed up
You could also get a KVM switch (like the Belkin models) and use your existing keyboard, mouse, and computer monitor with the PC.

Make sure the model you choose supports the Mac as the 'master' and the PC as the 'slave' (in other words, you can use the Mac peripherals to control the PC).

LT
Old 03-24-2005, 02:26 PM

Thanks for all the input...

I'm thinking about investigating...Bidule...that was mentioned in another post. Looks promising to run soft synths in Pro Tools.

But I might still jump to the two computer system.

Myshell
Old 03-24-2005, 05:35 PM

[QUOTE]
Quote:
the only problem is that you get your mouses mixed up
You could also get a KVM switch (like the Belkin models) and use your existing keyboard, mouse, and computer monitor with the PC.
Make sure the model you choose supports the Mac as the 'master' and the PC as the 'slave' (in other words, you can use the Mac peripherals to control the PC)./quote]

Or if you run Windows XP Pro on the PC you can run Remote desktop on the mac and remote control the PC from the mac. It works really well and the PC appears in a window just like a plug-in. I have a second monitor with 2 inputs. One input is the mac the other is the PC. After the PC boots up I switch the Mac into Dual monitor mode and open up remote desktop. Pretty simple.

And you can even get MIDIoverLan and you won't need a midi cable from your interface to your PC. Just an ethernet cable. It gives you many more ports than a standard MIDI interface and gives you lots of flexibility for controlling plug-in synths.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:05 PM

myshell...i hope that you come back to this forum and post in the future..i am totally confused by the weird innuendo so far. I can assure you that there are plenty of us that want to help you resolve your problem. the hammerfall is a good solution and can be used within the mac as well to reduce problems with soft synths, but a stand alone is more reliable without question if you are planning to use it in a critical situation, such as clients, live (dont recommend softsynths period live on a pc or mac), or just showing off for friends. for live gigs I think that rack boxes are still a superior choice. until comps come with a built-in computer manager that can intuitively override crashes, go with a rack module for live stuff.

Da-nick-str = Nick Dellos