Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2004, 08:15 PM

Default Re: It\'s Official:Mix Support coming to an End!!

Quote:
There is not one user on this forum that has not at some point used, or been on a system with a cracked plugin or, to take it a step further.. downloaded music from Napster, KAZAA, etc, so let's not even go there.
Steve,

You are so wrong, and let's go there...

I have never downloaded music from Napster, KAZAA, etc, - never even logged onto those sites.

I have never used a cracked plug or software.

I take my copyrights seriously (and pursue those that violate them). No hypocrisy here.

Unfortunately, you can't have it both ways. if you don't value intellectual property, how can you expect others to value yours?
Old 04-29-2004, 08:51 PM

JeremyRoberts wrote:
"If you don't value intellectual property, how can you expect others to value yours"?

True, and thank goodness that some download sites (music) have finally become legal pay sites...
Funny, but I just joked once about a distant family member "buying" some of my material- and I think they are still mad at me for even suggesting it (when I was actually clear about wanting to give it away to anyone I know). I'm confused if this is a current cultural phenomenon, or if this has always been the case. Sorry for straying off topic...
"Give an inch, take a mile".
LB.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:25 PM

Jeremy Roberts wrote:
I have never downloaded music from Napster, KAZAA, etc, - never even logged onto those sites.
I have never used a cracked plug or software.
I take my copyrights seriously (and pursue those that violate them). No hypocrisy here.
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Well I guess you're just perfect Jeremy! Good for you. Unfortunately, most of the rest of the world doesn't agree with that philosophy.

I have also had my music downloaded and know full well what it's like to be on the other side.

At the same time I have also been to PLENTY of big studios in town and seen that very same "bulging OS9 plugins folder" so what can you do.... call in the plugin police? Not use those studios? Not hang out with people that have downloaded free music for free?

I'd say in this day and age we have much bigger things to worry about than 6 year old cracked plugins.....

BTW, I do pay for downloaded music
Old 04-30-2004, 03:55 PM

"At the same time I have also been to PLENTY of big studios in town and seen that very same "bulging OS9 plugins folder" so what can you do.... call in the plugin police?"

I believe there are ways to report people using pirate software. I remember a year or two ago M$ had a radio campaign about it.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:19 AM

Hello. Well everybody's doing cocaine, so I am going to do it. Excuse me for not being perfect. Also everybody's cheating on their spouse, so I am going to do it. Excuse me for not being perfect. Everybody's backstabbing the competition to get ahead, so I am going to do it. Excuse me for not being perfect.

No one in this world is perfect. I am not. I have many faults. However there are some things I will not do as a matter of principle. Using cracked software is one. I consider it stealing. Mainly because it's black letter law.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:08 AM

My 2 cents: 1) Software companies have a lot of development costs. If everyone was paying for Plugins the developers could invest more toward resources, yielding earlier advances, there would be more developers/competition (good thing) and software would likely be less expensive; and 2) I really hope that Pace and Digi did a good job making iLok infallible because I will be really Pi$$ed if my competitors go from Fat OS9 Plugin folders to Fat OSX Plugin folders without contributing the legally required ante to be in the game.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:06 AM

Howard:

Exactly my position! I couldn't have stated the situation any better.
(970) 663-1650
InSight Sound Web Page