Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-27-2009, 03:03 AM

Default Re: Which Mac Pro to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngas75 View Post
One word of warning, check your Accel cards. If they are PCI then they won't fit into the new mac pro machines as they are PCIe. I hope I'm not stating the bleeding obvious but I have one G5 and one Mac Pro and they both needed different cards.
Whilst generally speaking what you say is a good point, it's irrelevant to this chap as he has the G5 Quad-Core which only came with PCIe slots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsun View Post
Ya, I moved into a DAW from RADAR II. I am actually fairly content with the G5. I am just in need of a computer (not a DAW) for which the G5 would serve well. So the new, more powerful computer may as well be for the DAW. In terms of waiting for the software to catch up with the "more powerful" computer, sometimes that never happens. I remember the G5 Quad and the hype that programs would be written to take advantage of the 4 processors. Logic Pro 7 & 8 never rose to the occasion nor did photoshop.
I think you have answered your own question here. The fact that you're content with the G5 tends to say to me that you wouldn't notice much difference between the base Mac Pro and the top Mac Pro.

The jump to the base Mac Pro from the G5 will be night and day (if you use any instruments especially). The percentage difference between that jump, and the jump to the top Mac Pro will be miniature in comparison IMO.

On the other hand, I always believe that if you can afford the best machine; get the best machine!
Old 11-27-2009, 03:43 AM

Default Re: Which Mac Pro to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezking View Post
I always believe that if you can afford the best machine; get the best machine!
+1