Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 01-31-2011, 10:15 AM

Default Anybody use Eleven Rack with Digital Performer?

Does anybody use Digital Performer to control an Eleven Rack in a live setting? The church I play with uses DP7 on a Mac and I want to see if I can use my 11R and have DP7 set delay times, change patches, etc. The guy that sets up DP7 has my 11R right now and he can get DP7 to see the 11R but can't get any farther. Any assistance is much appreciated!
Old 01-31-2011, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Anybody use Eleven Rack with Digital Performer?

I do but haven't tried that yet. Same situation as yours. I would imagine that it will need to be synced via MIDI for it to receive any sort of command from DP.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:46 AM

I'm not up on the midi thing (that's why my friend is working with it!) He was trying to get it synced and that is what he was having an issue with...He has been searching for drivers and what not but was not able to find anything to get them to sync together. The main thing I would want is to use it for is to set delay times so I don't have to do the "tap" dance! The automated patch changes would be a bonus, although it would make me nervous leaving something like that to an external device...I've always been a more analog, hands-on, pedals at my feet type of guy.

I noticed your earlier post on what you use in you P&W setting....I mostly play a Gretsch Power Jet and occasionally a Strat through a large pedal board into a Dr Z Mazerati pushing a remote Mesa Thiele cab which has been a great setup. Our director is really into the technology stuff and he really wants me to try the 11R just to see what it can do in that setting.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:09 PM

I personally wouldn't want to have to deal with setting up all my patch changes and sync them to the MIDI timeline. If I was playing a set that was very consistent it would make more sense. But since what we do changes every weekend (and sometimes very last minute) I don't think it would make sense at all. Now sync'ing tempo would be nice and should be fairly easy using a midi cable connected to whatever interface the Mac and DP are using. We use a MOTU Ultralite which has MIDI in and out ports. I should se if I can get than happening this weekend and report back to you.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:24 PM

I agree on the patch changes...See what you can find out...Thanks!
Old 01-31-2011, 11:56 PM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

not sure about DP, but if you wanna send MIDI info to the 11R via MIDI track, heres how it should work in theory. I'm in the middle of moving apartments so I don't have my set up up and running.

1: Check your Mac's MIDI setup in "AudioMidi" and make sure the 11R is showing. It should show up if you have the appropriate and updated drivers installed.

2: Set up an IAC "virtual MIDI cable" to your 11R so that your 11R can receive the MIDI. You do not have to do this in PT, and you may or may not have to do this in other DAWs if the 11R is being used as an interface.

3. Create a MIDI track and input the appropriate MIDI CC, of course in the appropriate time. I believe it's CC64. Then set the MIDI tracks output to either the 11R MIDI Ch "whatever your 11R is receiving on" or through the IAC you created.

4. Make sure your 11R is set to the appropriate channel to receive, and you should be good to go.

This is all in theory though. I'd check myself if I wasn't kickin it in a McDonalds right now.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 02-01-2011, 11:34 AM

Excellent....Thanks for the tip madgt621! I'll make sure that is fully explored.