Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2015, 03:05 AM

Default S3 MAJOR design flaw

Yesterday I had the chance to play around with the S3 to try out a couple of things that I had questions about. As expected, the S3 is much more solid than the Artist series controllers, especially the rotary encoders are of better quality, you can actually use them to adjust EQs, Compressors and Pan. Still I'd like to have the ability to set the acceleration of the knobs.

That being said, the S3 software seems to be in early Beta stage. Some severe bugs, lots of illogical choices and inconsistencies. Even worse, so many not implemented features and so much wasted possibilities like blank encoders and green-only multi-colored LEDs. Not to mention the cumbersome Eucon software with its late '90th interface.

Well, so far I saw a chance to have a really nice mid-class controller, if they'd get the software right someday.

But when trying out the automation one thing struck me that makes it basically impossible to use this controller as a professional mixing desk. It's been mentioned before that the placement of the Select and Rec/Auto keys is unfortunate. I know that this was designed as a live-mixing console, but these buttons between the faders are absolutely essential if you don't want to use a mouse. The problem is, it is definitely impossible to use these buttons without touching a fader. So when you're in Latch mode and want to drop out of Automation-Write on a channel or select that channel to view a plug-in window, you will always touch a fader and write automation.

I really don't know what to make of this. For me this makes the S3 essentially useless. The only possibilities I see, is to swap out Mute/Solo with Select/Rec via a preference or - maybe better - to introduce an Automation Mode in the lower row of encoders.

But with all the already missing features can't see this happening.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:58 AM

Default Re: S3 MAJOR design flaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonopolis View Post
Yesterday I had the chance to play around with the S3 to try out a couple of things that I had questions about. As expected, the S3 is much more solid than the Artist series controllers, especially the rotary encoders are of better quality, you can actually use them to adjust EQs, Compressors and Pan. Still I'd like to have the ability to set the acceleration of the knobs.

That being said, the S3 software seems to be in early Beta stage. Some severe bugs, lots of illogical choices and inconsistencies. Even worse, so many not implemented features and so much wasted possibilities like blank encoders and green-only multi-colored LEDs. Not to mention the cumbersome Eucon software with its late '90th interface.

Well, so far I saw a chance to have a really nice mid-class controller, if they'd get the software right someday.

But when trying out the automation one thing struck me that makes it basically impossible to use this controller as a professional mixing desk. It's been mentioned before that the placement of the Select and Rec/Auto keys is unfortunate. I know that this was designed as a live-mixing console, but these buttons between the faders are absolutely essential if you don't want to use a mouse. The problem is, it is definitely impossible to use these buttons without touching a fader. So when you're in Latch mode and want to drop out of Automation-Write on a channel or select that channel to view a plug-in window, you will always touch a fader and write automation.

I really don't know what to make of this. For me this makes the S3 essentially useless. The only possibilities I see, is to swap out Mute/Solo with Select/Rec via a preference or - maybe better - to introduce an Automation Mode in the lower row of encoders.

But with all the already missing features can't see this happening.
I don't find it too bad. I think it depends on your hand size (mine are small but pretty chubby!). But you're right, you do need to be careful not to bump the adjacent fader.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
I don't find it too bad. I think it depends on your hand size (mine are small but pretty chubby!). But you're right, you do need to be careful not to bump the adjacent fader.
Mine are small, too. No, seriously I want to see the person who can get through a mix without accidentally writing fader automation when pushing one of these buttons.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:30 PM

Can't say it's been a issue for me at all and my hands are not small.

Avid S3
Artist Transport
Pro Tools HD 12
UAD Apollo 8P
Audient ASP 880
Mac Pro TrashCan
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB ram
Adams A77x
UAD Quad Thunderbolt Satellite
Old 03-30-2015, 10:55 PM

And the meters on the left side of the fader instead of the right as in the software. Ha!
Old 03-31-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
And the meters on the left side of the fader instead of the right as in the software. Ha!
Yes, that's very irritating too. But at least this does not make write unwanted automation
Old 03-31-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I don't find this a issue when I am mixing with my S3 I am looking at the S3 not the computer screen

Have you been hands on with one ?

Avid S3
Artist Transport
Pro Tools HD 12
UAD Apollo 8P
Audient ASP 880
Mac Pro TrashCan
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB ram
Adams A77x
UAD Quad Thunderbolt Satellite
Old 01-28-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Having owned an S3 for about 5 months now, I have to agree. I always have to remind myself which side the metering is on for which fader since it flips between the software mixer and the control surface.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 04-03-2019, 06:30 AM

I started reading this link since I am considering an S3. Has the software caught up yet or is it still in development?

Thanks.

Best...H
Old 04-04-2019, 08:17 AM
Avid

There have been over 10 software releases since the start of this post with many features added and 100's of bugs fixed...its a completely different product now....