Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-28-2010, 05:54 AM

Default Absolutely no reason to upgrade to 8.1?

8.1 does not support dig midi interface which means no midi or buy new interface and pull dig midi out of rack. Already have Pheonix so could just put on all chaneell in 8.04 if want HEAT effect plus does HEAT have to be purchased after 30 days? The bugs in the original 8.1 program were a joke. And dig core manager was not easily by Mac also. Am I missing anything.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:41 AM

Default Re: Absolutely no reason to upgrade to 8.1?

I wonder too...is there ANY reason to upgrade if you don´t need HEAT or the new interfaces?
Running, 8.0.4 here without any annoying bugs and updating to 8.1 involves a 10.5.8 to 10.6 update too which holds me back...
Old 08-28-2010, 09:21 AM

The only other thing different is the new I/O reworking. And there are some nice improvements there if you change I/O or exchange a lot of sessions, but it not, it won't make much difference.

So I'd say if your system is stable at 8.04, stay there, wait for 8.2 or whatever it is that has bug fixes or new features.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:30 AM

so a couple of weeks later as the dust settles with all of that draaaaaama with Brad getting fired etc...

kinda ho hum.... huh?

the enlightened choice for now remains . . . .guess what?

H F my bruthas

Old 08-28-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttimestudios View Post
8.1 does not support dig midi interface which means no midi or buy new interface and pull dig midi out of rack.
I'm probably being dumb here but where does it say that 8.1 does not support the Dig Midi interface ?

I've read most of the notes and read me's but can't find any mention of this.

This and the forced implementation of Snow Leopard are two good reasons to stay put for me righ now....

Cheers

Lizardpoint
Old 08-28-2010, 05:50 PM

For my purposes I'm staying put at PT 8.0.3cs2/10.5.8. Very stable with no crashes since I installed it in February. If I need something like HEAT I've got Phoenix and other similar plugs to do the job. I just don't feel like going through all the hassle of updating OS and PT for stuff I don't need and possibly have new problems. And I've got way more plugins than I'll probably ever use so I'm not worried about not being able to get the latest plugins that might be SL-only.

Jeff
Old 08-28-2010, 06:36 PM

In it's wisdom dig I mean avid retired r/ stopped supporting it's midi interface. tt is not an optional install in 8.1 -- unlike 8.0 and its predessors. Totally bogus and for that reason up grade planned anytime soon.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Administrator

The MIDI I/O is still supported in Pro Tools 8.1.

The MIDI I/O drivers are an optional installation check box when you are installing Pro Tools 8 from Pro Tools 8.x DVD or Pro Tools 8.x full web installer.

Pro Tools HD 8.1 is only available currently as a web updater, so if you installed the MIDI I/O drivers in any previous installation of Pro Tools 8, the drivers would be updated.

You should be able to run your Pro Tools 8.0.x installation, and check only the MIDI I/O box to install that, and then run the 8.1 updater again.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Administrator

From the I/O Setup Primer on the HD 8.1 download pages:
Quote:
Changes to I/O Setup in Pro Tools HD 8.1
In Pro Tools 8.1, changes to the I/O Setup have been made in order to solve session interchange issues (such as maintaining studio settings on different Pro Tools systems) and to provide better overall workflows for session interchange. In lower versions of Pro Tools, I/O settings are recalled from the Pro Tools session document, so studio settings corresponding to your hardware could potentially change each time a session is opened. This can result in a temporary loss of monitor paths. In Pro Tools 8.1, I/O settings can be recalled from the system. This means that your studio settings can be maintained when opening sessions created on other Pro Tools systems.
For more information, see the following:

I/O Setup Primer v8.1 (PDF)

Pro Tools Session Compatibility and Interchange (Kbase article)
Old 08-29-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digidesign View Post
The MIDI I/O is still supported in Pro Tools 8.1.

The MIDI I/O drivers are an optional installation check box when you are installing Pro Tools 8 from Pro Tools 8.x DVD or Pro Tools 8.x full web installer.
Phew, that's a relief !!
Thanks for clearing that up for us.

Lizardpoint