Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2008, 05:16 PM

Default Mass Exodus to Leopard and Logic

Well I've finally decided to join the mass exodus to Logic. I’ve held on for as long as I could but don’t think it makes sense to continue defending PTLE not working on Leopard at this point. Since I’m not the first do this does anybody know if there is a book on Logic specially targeted at EX-Protools users?
Old 04-01-2008, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Mass Exodus to Leopard and Logic

Yes,

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Old 04-01-2008, 06:47 PM

Why don't you go post this on the Logic forum... I remember when I was trying out logic.. (I always kept PT, was just looking into logic so I could work at some smaller, odder studios) i remember how incredibly helpful their help forum was... (can you sense the sarcasm)... All anyone said was check the manual.. (Logic manual is 4x the length of the digi manual... and for as much as I love apple and their help, the logic manual was not helpful... Also.. to switch just because PT is not leopard compatible is ridiculous... Move because you need better midi, or built in VST's or something.. but not because its not leopard compatible.. There are plenty of people who are making a living off of PT that can still do so, and still do... What is your big problem with not being able to move to leopard right away anyway? TimeMachine? Answer) learn how to back up your stuff... Stacks? Answer) learn how to organize your stuff...
Now after all that... Just in my opinion, I've tried logic.... I had it for awhile, good for midi and composition etc.. (just above PT's current capability IMO), but once you have to record audio, your gonna be hurting after using ProTools, its just painful for recording even in a private personal setting, I'm blown away by people that insist on using it in "PRO" environments. IMO, if your a "pro"as in professional... Get PRO-tools, even LE is by far and away more useful in "pro" AUDIO situations than logic is, or looks to be anytime soon...

The Note Music
www.myspace.com/thenotemusic
Dual 2.0Ghz PPC 3gb Ram, Digi 002R
Old 04-01-2008, 07:01 PM

I'm sure there would be lots of readers. I wonder how many people have already switched to Logic, but were kind enough to not rant on the forum?

Probably at least 50...

And how many people just entering the audio world bought a MOTU card instead of an 003 because the 003 isn't compatible with their new Mac?

Probably hundreds more...

The question isn't whether or not it's LOGICAL to switch to logic instead of Pro Tools. The question is whether its HAPPENING. And the answer is...

YES!

It doesn't matter how you look at it. Digidesign dropped the ball on this one, because they are losing customers. Hopefully this serves as a wakeup call to them. We'll see. If they aren't careful Logic and Ableton are going to leave Digidesign in the dust. The same way Apple and Google are leaving Microsoft in dust in the computer technology world.

They're using the same old approach, but it just doesn't work these days.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:36 PM

Enjoy the lack of Apple support on Logic. Digi has been on the DUC and explaining why it's taking so long. If you can't wait and Logic works for you, great, go, leave.

Unless your machine blew up and you had to buy a new one, there isn't a burning need to upgrade to Leopard if you're serious about making music and it's your profession. I've upgraded because I'm a hobbyist, and needed to remotely act as my parent's IT, which Leopard does. But, I'm using 7.4cs3 and it works fine. Read the DUC - people are using Leopard and LE and it's working, but almost every pro studio is not dumb enough to upgrade until Digi says the upgrade is qualified - you do read these announcements from Digi before upgrading, right? I'm holding off on an 8-core until I know it will work.

I also have Logic because I bought it back in the dark ages when Studio Vision Pro died and finally upgraded to the new version. Is it better for me than Pro Tools? No. Is it different? Absolutely.
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 04-01-2008, 09:16 PM

Pick the best tool for the job at hand! theres nothing wrong with using a couple of differant DAWS.

We live in a world of light and shade-not black and white. If you feel that switching to Logic will solve all of your problems than by all means do it. But its not religion or a one way street.

The amount of people switching to Logic will be relatively inconsequential (unless they port it to PC ) And most that do switch will be back in some form or another after Digi releases a update. You may think it will make a differance but in the long run you will be just another customer that owns more than one platform. No biggie.

I suppose the next logical step will be the posts proclaiming its Digis fault that they have to spend 500.00 on Logic.

Both are good programs, both have strengths and weaknesses. Digi would do well to look at Logics strengths.

You can count on the fact that Apple is looking at Pro Tools and Avids weaknesses....

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-01-2008, 09:46 PM

I think "Mass Exodus" is overstating it a bit. I know of several people who run both, like I do and have since Logic Express 7. Now I use Logic Pro and PT LE. They each have thier strengths. ProTools is far away the better choice for music production ala, recording and editing multitrack recordings. Logic has some nice features there but once you try recording and editing whole bands in Logic you'll go right back to PT. Pro Tools is just easier to track and edit with.

On the plus side for Logic is the cost to plug-in quality ratio. The plug-ins included with Logic Pro justify its cost if you intend to mix in Logic as I do. So for me the winner is track/edit in ProTools and mix in Logic Pro. The best of both worlds at a crazy low price. If you do alotof solo composition Logic looks even better from a midi instrument and workflow perspective.

So take advantage of Digi's great HW + SW bundle and Logics fantastic plugins and composition features.

If you're dropping Pro Tools simply because it's not supported on Leopard, you basically lost all my respect right there. Don't be an upgrade dweeb, your native studio is a "system" not a bunch of desperate bits, to be upgraded like a word processor.

the 'slide
Old 04-01-2008, 10:33 PM

I have been considering getting Logic Studio 8 for some time now. It has some features that look cool and Surround capability. At $499 for the whole deal it is a bargain compared to the DV Toolkit at $1295 with no Surround capability from what I can tell.

So I have been reading over at the Logic Forum and it seems there are a bunch of folks having issues with Logic 8 on Intel Mac's....getting error messages on low stress sessions with like 4 tracks and 1 or 2 plug-in's. Supposedly Mainstage is not short on problems also.The grass always looks greener on the other side until you look a little closer. G5 users seem to be doing a bit better with Logic. UAD cards are causing issues also.

I also think the Logic interface looks awful..it is so dark!!

Now I am torn about DP........I am looking at these because they have better features for music for film than LE does and I cannot afford an HD system.

Nah, I am staying put with Tools for a while and I am fine with Tiger. I do not like what I have seen of Leopard anyway. I am buying a MacBook Pro tomorrow and I am having them put Tiger on it.

Like someone said before me...what is the rush to Leopard anyway..."why do you have to have it?"
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 04-02-2008, 12:00 AM

We have a Pro tools HD system in our studio and it´s great...but,at home i switched over from PTle to Logic 8 (...and i love it!)because i use UAD-1 cards.The day when Digi puts ADC in PTle i may go back.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:58 AM

Brand new Mac Pro came in for a show.
My first app I installed for use was 7.4cs3 And it's working.
Next Kore2 and Ni Komplete 5.
Now, I don't have a bunch of Plugs (Stock & NI) in yet but just a comment,
I also have Logic Studio sitting here but have not loaded it. It is not my first choice but rather a tool choice for it's synths.
(Also the install is rather large)
Now this is a testing system so I too am waiting for PT's LE and Leopard compatibility but on first try with what I have (002) it's OK.
BTW if Leopard was not mandatory on this LapTop I would likely be at 10.4.9 or 10 but not 10.4.11.

Logic user since Notator and Pro Tooler since Sound Designer. PT's is fast easy to collaborate with and reasonably stable if your computer is stable.