Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2015, 07:00 AM

Default Recording in the box.

Good morning. I've read a good many posts in favor of recording entirely in the box and I'm curious. I can understand the ease and convenience of this method and as a matter of fact that is my own current preference. I am a hold over from the old days,(as a musician and wannabe engineer), and the benefits of working with a mixer still remain. I detest using a mouse! It is the only mistake that was made during the design of the software and yet it is still there today as a detriment to work flow! I realize that the various analog mixer substitutes like the 002-oo3 etc. are available and I own and use a PMIO which, according to a good many of you equates to a tinker toy mixer. When will some company design, manufacture and sell an all in one interface/mixer with quality preamps and enough faders to accommodate a multi track,(more than 8), session that doesn't require banking channel groups, at a cost that doesn't require a loan from one's rich uncle? With todays technology I don't think that's unreasonable.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:16 AM

Default Re: Recording in the box.

If you want quality it'll cost money. And you'll always be dealing with channel banking; you don't have to bank channel groups on most control surfaces - you should be able to also bank a channel at a time. Why not pickup a used 003?

A good piece to look at is the Allan & Heath ZED-R16. From this Sweetwater page: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZEDR16
"The Allen & Heath ZED-R16 bridges the live mixer and studio mixer gap while adding a wealth MIDI-mappable controls, so it's even more versatile in the control room or in front of the stage. Equipped with FireWire and ADAT I/O, the Allen & Heath ZED-R16 can handle an impressive 26 inputs and 26 outputs simultaneously. It also sports high-quality preamplifiers and a fully-featured EQ section, complete with two swept parametric mids and high- and low-shelving. For powerful mixing at a great value, look no further than the ZED-R16."

Do note the faders are not motorized and it isn't cheap at $2200 US but it's a good unit.

QAPLA!
Old 11-12-2015, 12:13 PM

Terry, I switched from a large format console and 2" multitrack to working entirely in the box, when the studio acquired PT3 TDM back in 1994, and never regretted it. In those days we used a JL Cooper CS10 for control. As musicman says, you will never get away from bank switching.
As to your PMIO, it is unfortunate that some people on forums get very sniffy about gear if it isn't the latest and most expensive. They forget that people choose gear on the basis of what works for them within their budget.
I will be sticking with my 18 year old Mackie HUI until it gives up the ghost.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 431.86- 2 x Internal WD Blacks + MSATA card - Davinci Resolve 16.1 - Canon HF G40
Old 11-12-2015, 12:41 PM

Since Terry is sticking with PT9, a used Control24 might be worth a look. Its a very good controller, and since they are now "obsolete" since PT11, they are available for little more than an Artist Control

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-12-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Since Terry is sticking with PT9, a used Control24 might be worth a look. Its a very good controller, and since they are now "obsolete" since PT11, they are available for little more than an Artist Control
The preamps are horrid though and Terry wanted all in one.

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-12-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
The preamps are horrid though and Terry wanted all in one.
Ah......booooo Indeed, I would not have recommended the preamps, except for talkback use I really like the S3, but its not exactly a "budget" item(and will not work as an interface on a Windows machine).

Old 11-12-2015, 04:09 PM

What about the SSL Nucleus?

Sound fantastic and that real authentic Analog SSL flashback

We had one on trial just to compare to our SSL4000G+ and they really do sound very similar, Was pleasantly surprised and so was everyone else who was there.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Nucleus

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-13-2015, 06:23 AM

Thanks guys, (one and all) for the educational comments and suggestions. At the present time I am dealing with financial reality and postponing any major purchases until I can replace my current pc with one capable of handling Pro tools. (Annual ICT return time). I had checked out the ZED unit on Sweetwater's site and it does look good but not right now. As to preamps, Focusrite is probably as good as it gets for me.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:08 PM

On a tight budget, the Behringer BCF2000 is still worth a look. Youtube has some good videos showing it in use, and how to set it up with PT

Old 11-13-2015, 02:17 PM

Why not save up for something worth buying and staying with what you have until a purchase makes sense.

All these low level all in one mixers are pretty bad and if i couldn't buy something better i would wait and save my money.

Them focusrite preamps in the Control 24 or soo crappy as are the C/24 pre's so buying any of these are a bad idea. This is MHO of course and nothing else

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————