How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-28-2016, 03:11 AM

Default Re: Which New iMac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Charlotte View Post
OH YES..........you will will be at 9 of 10 on the dial for the Clarett 2Pre even though you have a condenser. .
Thatīs disappointing indeed as I only have heard great things about the Claretts from numerous sides. I personally have heard them acting as an audio interface only and found it to be sounding
exceptionally well as for their price range. Hmm...
I would have bought one myself if I havenīt had my Apollo already at that time which is simply fantastic as for stability, reliability and sound quality (both converters+mic pres).
Therefor, Brian, if you are seriously unhappy with the Focusrite which I would not have expected to happen, donīt wait until itīs too late to bring it back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlerbri View Post
It's still not too late to take this thing back and get something else.
Invest a bit more and get an UA Apollo Twin Solo or Duo. This obviously is the only audio interface type at the moment which simply works perfectly fine with macOS and Pro Tools 12. It will be more expensive than the Clarett 2Pre I know but it seems to be worth it at the end of the day.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ApolloTwinS

If you will use UA plugins (Unison preamps) for tracking primarily and only a few in your mixes additionally even the Twin Solo will suffice as for itīs DSP power. You can add a powerful UA Quad or
Octo DSP Satellite unit later and connect it to your 2nd Thunderbolt port on your iMac if you will need more UA plugins in your mixes in the future.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UAD2SUQuad

The Twin Duo would give you more DSP resources which could be convenient too if you could afford it.
Anyway those Apollo Twin interfaces (aside from the UA plugins) are the best ones below 1k by far and more than worth the money finally.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:22 AM

Thank you, VRW. The Apollo Twin was the other interface I was considering going into this and it might be my final destination.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:32 PM

Hey Bri,

Any issues with sluggishness or lag on your new 27" iMac and Sierra/PT 12.6? Myself and a few others are still experiencing the GUI lag and sluggishness, unless we enable Low Resolution mode and it makes things look pixelated with the Retina display. Like if you hit R/T to zoom in and out really fast, it takes a while to catch up. Same goes for all basic edits, trimming or moving clips, resizing windows, jerky playhead and meters etc.

Did you get the i7/SSD/M395 machine? Just curious... seems odd that some people would have the issue and some wouldn't with the same hardware.

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2016, 03:01 PM

Hey Jpellizzi,

I have not yet noticed any graphics lag. But then again I have not done a real session just yet either. I'm still trying to get all my plugins up and working. Would you know where the plugins folder is supposed to be on the system drive? I'm trying to run a "closed" system where everything is confined to the internal SSD rather than running off an external drive.

I have the i7 with a 512 Flash Drive so it should be a rockin' machine.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Would you know where the plugins folder is supposed to be on the system drive?
Mac OS drive/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins

Cheers.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Hey Jpellizzi,

I have not yet noticed any graphics lag. But then again I have not done a real session just yet either. I'm still trying to get all my plugins up and working. Would you know where the plugins folder is supposed to be on the system drive? I'm trying to run a "closed" system where everything is confined to the internal SSD rather than running off an external drive.

I have the i7 with a 512 Flash Drive so it should be a rockin' machine.
I would really use a second drive for PT to record to. It'll make it a lot easier if you ever have to restore your system - you won't lose your PT sessions. Ditto for samples if you use them. With an ssd you could do that off one drive instead of two separate ones like if they were spinners.

QAPLA!
Old 12-07-2016, 04:35 PM

Jack, I have my two OWC Mercury Elite Pro HDDs standing by for just such a task if I need it. They are great drives and worked in my old system as Firewire drives daisy-chained together.

They also have USB ports so I have them plugged into a powered USB hub and using them now only for backup. Their role may change back to session drives as per your suggestion, however.

Do you or anyone else have much experience with cloud-based backup for PT sessions? Like Carbonite or Backblaze? What are your thoughts?
Old 12-07-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Jack, I have my two OWC Mercury Elite Pro HDDs standing by for just such a task if I need it. They are great drives and worked in my old system as Firewire drives daisy-chained together.

They also have USB ports so I have them plugged into a powered USB hub and using them now only for backup. Their role may change back to session drives as per your suggestion, however.

Do you or anyone else have much experience with cloud-based backup for PT sessions? Like Carbonite or Backblaze? What are your thoughts?
I've never used cloud based anything other than a brief flirtation with DropBox. And that was a disaster on account of my account got hacked. I would not trust cloud based storage for anything. What if the server goes toes up or you need access to something that's on the cloud but have no net access? As Master Yoda would say: screwed you are.

QAPLA!
Old 12-07-2016, 11:00 PM

I agree, Jack. Screwed be you would.
But I was thinking in terms of an emergency/secondary backup that would be done in addition to your external drives backup. This would be in case of fire, theft, or some other catastrophe.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
But I was thinking in terms of an emergency/secondary backup that would be done in addition to your external drives backup. This would be in case of fire, theft, or some other catastrophe.
For a secondary one it ainīt no bad idea actually.
Like mentioned by Jack already just make sure itīs not the only one you rely on.

Cheers.